Macbook Pro 3.1 2008 Cracked Screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by justin052, Nov 1, 2009.

1. justin052 macrumors newbie

I have had my Macbook Pro since January 2008, so almost two years now. Through this time I have probably only dropped the computer 2 times at max while it was in a case, and the problems I will share did not come from after the drops. As it appears, from opening and closing on a regular basis, the bottom of the aluminum part of the screen has cracked on both sides. I have enclosed a picture to illustrate where and exactly what is happening.
    [​IMG]

It is about the same as on the other side.
    My reason for posting about this is because I am wondering if it is even worth it for me to take the Pro to the Apple store to see if they will fix it. I got a 3-year Warranty on it, so I still have full warranty coverage. Thanks for any help you guys can be.

2. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

if it is dented from you dropping it, then they will probably blame it on you. But at least its good to know that the hinge is strong.

3. justin052 thread starter macrumors newbie

The computer is not dented at all. These cracks and breaks are from simply opening and closing. I'm also wondering if anyone has had the same problems.

4. asme macrumors regular

My brother had the exact same problem, didn't bother him much until his logic board fizzled out and apple refused to repair it because of the cracked screen housing.

He spent long hours on the customer relations line but now as a result has a new macbook pro unibody.

5. justin052 thread starter macrumors newbie

So it is possible that if I take it to the store, and they refuse to fix it, I may be able to call customer relations and see about getting a replacement? Because the crack is so bad that each time I open my computer again, it comes off the screen more and more, to wear i can see the inside workings of the screen. The computer works completely fine, in fact recently I had a new logicboard installed along with a new airport card. Now I also am having problems with burning CDs, as the laser won't calibrate. But they may not fix any of those things at the store if they see the cracks...

6. justin052 thread starter macrumors newbie

is it possible you could message me with his full name? I could bring him and his case up when i call again, since they are refusing to cover it and I need something done about it. Please get back in touch with me. Thanks.

7. ferangar macrumors newbie

Same problem here

Justin,

I just had the same issue with my 2008 MBP. Did you get yours fixed? How did you do it? Thanks

8. justin052 thread starter macrumors newbie

No sadly I was not able to get it fixed. Apple wanted me to pay around $1250 for them to fix it and I would be without a computer for over a week. They blamed me for it and called it "user-inflicted". I call it shoddy workmanship since this entire problem has been fixed with the new unibody enclosure. I had to pay $2000 for a new computer.
    I used large binder clips to keep mine from breaking more.

9. ferangar macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks Justin. I figured they wouldn't do anything... The clip may be ghetto, but it will hold it in place, I'll do that. Thanks

10. justin052 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry I couldn't help more. I think Apple knew it was a bad design shortly after the release, but by that time they had probably been working on the unibody. I love the unibody but wish they had acknowledged their mistakes.

11. BrickbookPro macrumors regular

You should probably keep at it. Be persistent and tell them what you want. Talk to consumer relations. If you don't get what you want, ask for a manager and repeat yourself over and over until you get what you want., You'll notice that they won't hang up on you so long as you remain civil (but firm!).