MacBook Pro 3.1 battery issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CaptainDaG, Nov 13, 2008.

1. CaptainDaG macrumors newbie

i bought a macbook pro september 2007.. the last months i have experienced a sudden shutdown of it without any low battery warning..
    after browsing around the forums i found a app called Coconut Battery which i installed..
    this is what it showed me:
    [​IMG]

any suggestions to what i can do to get my battery performance better?
    do i have to invest in a new battery? and aren't the prices on those extreme?

brgds Captain

2. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

Looks buggered to me!

Have you the extended warranty. If you do you can try calling Applecare and getting them to replace it. I've done it twice with my MBP and they have had no problem replacing it. I've just told them that it's not acceptable having a battery go bad after 1 year with few charge cycles.

If you don't have Applecare I think you may have to invest in a new battery...
    The only other thing I can think of is to follow the instructions in the MBP manual to calibrate the battery and see if that works.

3. CaptainDaG thread starter macrumors newbie

i was to cheap to invest in the applecare..
    the problem with the battery calibration is that my mac dont even get to the "sleep" step.. it simply just shuts down before any warning or sleep goes on..
    anyone know now if there are any alternative to the expensive original mac batteries?

4. kman79 macrumors regular

Whoa, that battery is definitely in bad shape.

Not to sound negative, but I don't think conditioning the battery now is going to bring much of its life back.

You could try just letting the battery run down and turn off, and leave it like that for eight hours or so, and then recharge it full capacity. Check the health status again with the same application and see if displays any improvement.

I do that once a month with my MBP, and as of today, my MBP is 17 months old and the battery has 189 cycles and holds 75% of its original capacity according to the same program you're using.

If you plan on keeping the MBP for a while, it might still be a good investment to go ahead and purchase a new battery

5. pinback pro macrumors member

pinback pro

some mbp batts can be had for $50-75 on the bay

6. jauhari macrumors regular

jauhari

Where we can bough new MacBook Pro 3.1 battery? the best services and prices of course and shipped worldwide

Best Regards

Jauhari