MacBook Pro 3 Strikes Rule?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mroseneo, Jan 19, 2008.

1. mroseneo macrumors member

I have just recently purchased a new Macbook Pro, but it has a few issues. The screen has a bright spot on it that is visible when the backgroud is white. The right fan seems to be a bit loud. Also, I think I hear a bit of the logic board whine noise.

None of these problems are bothering me right now, but I was just wondering what the rules are for Applecare. I read somwhere that if Apple has to replace 3 major components, they will give you a new unit. Does this apply to 3 problems fixed at the same time, or do you have to take your machine in 3 seperate times? I was thinking that if I wait until a new Macbook Pro comes out, they will just replace it with that new machine. :D I could wait that long. I just purchased it last week, so I have a year to get it fixed. Has anyone had an experience like this where they replace the entire unit? Also, do you think that it is better to get a new laptop fixed now or better to wait until near the end of my applecare?

Also, I am living in Korea, but I will be moving to Japan in April. I am kind of wary of getting the laptop fixed in Korea as none of the service centers are "Official" Apple ones. Also, I am worried that they will just half-ass it and do the work fast. I was thinking that the Japanese attention to detail and getting the job done right the first time would be better in this case. Do you think it would be better to get the laptop fixed in Japan or Korea? Thanks.

2. shoppy macrumors 6502a

If it is quite recent then take it back, apple resellers are just as good at repairs as apple are if not better at times.

3. mroseneo thread starter macrumors member

No I am asking if a new macbook pro comes out, and I choose to get my current one repaired at that time, will they just replace my old one with the new model? I don't think you understand the retailers over here. I got they to take the price down by roughtly 200$ by hagling. I don't think they are the most reliable places to get things fixed.

4. janitorC7 macrumors 6502a

janitorC7

I;m not sure what or if the lemon laws are over there, but I dont think that AppleCare has any specific rules, I think its just weather its more financially prudent for them to fix it, or give you a new one

5. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

It just has to do with how much of a frankenstein your current MacBook Pro is. If you throw a hissy fit because you've had to send it in a bunch of times and it still has problems, you might convince them to replace it.

6. janitorC7 macrumors 6502a

janitorC7

although, I recommend not going overboard, they can (and have in the past) refuse service to you, without explanation

JC7