Macbook PRO 3BEEPS not starting up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 50L, May 27, 2014.

1. 50L macrumors regular

50L

Hi friends,

My macbook pro makes 3 beeps and is not starting up.

I suggested it was the RAM, but I don't want to risk buying new sticks before I know that is the problem.

When I remove the RAM Memory, I get the same problem but only 1 beep.

what to do?

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

You should expect 1 beep when you have removed both memory sticks - telling you that no memory is detected.
    If you get 3 beeps, then memory is detected, but doesn't pass the power-on self test.
    Have you tried swapping the sticks between the slots?
    Also, try just one stick at a time - booting to check for a good boot with only one stick. If you get a good boot, then try the other stick, again only in that same slot. If you can boot with _either_ stick in one slot, then add the second stick. If you do get a good boot with only one slot, you can try a variety of combinations of the memory that you have now, testing to see if you have a failed memory slot. You may find out that one stick is bad (mark it, then test again just to make sure.)
    You _might_ find that both sticks work after reseating the sticks a few times - which is a pretty normal result - proper seating can sometimes be the permanent fix.

3. 50L thread starter macrumors regular

50L

thankyou very helpfull!

apparently one of the card slots is broken :mad:

it perfectly works with one ram, I tried switching it and the lower card slot isn't working.

So here the big question,

is the only solution ( for again a 100% working macbook ) a new logicboard?

or is it possible to but only 1 ram card of 4GB and have same result as 2X2GB

4. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

Yes a 4GB stick should work. Maybe even an 8GB stick depending on model.

Barney