Macbook Pro 3mm bottom case screw

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by seong, Jul 23, 2011.

1. seong macrumors 65816

seong

I have no idea how that tiny little thing fell out of the bottom casing..... I barely take it anywhere. Since it's summer vacation, I rarely even move it around, using like a desktop.
    Does anyone know where to get 3mm screw that's on the bottom case of alu-unibody Macbook Pros? I already saw some on iFixit and other sites, but they always have it as quantities of 5. Even if they do have one, it's out of stock. iFixit has the total kit but I only need one, and I do not feel like paying $60+shipping to Japan just for one tiny screw. If I visit the local Apple Stores (there are two) and explain my current situation, will they replace it for free? Or, do I have to pay them? Anyone with experience/suggestion?

Thanks in advance.

2. ShootingStars macrumors member

Go to AppleStore...

3. nightfly13 macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

I just flipped over my wife's MBP (to open it to adjust the trackpad button's screw) and I realized I'm missing one. eBay has 'em for around $20. Still painful for one screw.

Going to the Apple Store makes great sense, except I'm in India right now and won't be back in the US (or near a real Apple Store) for another 7-8 months. Has anyone ever found these more reasonably online?

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I've lost screws before. Apple Stores can be major PITA or nice about it, but def YMMV. Last time the associate told me they don't make them available to the public!! I didn't feel like hopping around to the next nearest store so bought one online for $10. Forget the store name, but I'm sure if you Google you'll find it. $10 is crazy for a screw but w/ the price of gas it's probably less expensive than trolling Apple Stores not knowing if they'll be nice about it or not.

5. seong thread starter macrumors 65816

seong

Yes, I'll be looking around for screws around $10. Thanks for your experience.

6. bizzle macrumors 6502a

Or you can just not worry about it because it's one screw. When its time to sell it, take one out of your new machine.

7. head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

if the apple genius' are in a good mood i'm pretty sure they will replace the screw for u for free! :)

8. superfula macrumors 6502

9. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie