macbook pro 4,1 battery issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bobbypotluck, Sep 29, 2009.

1. bobbypotluck macrumors member

i've done some searching and have tried all sorts of ideas for fixing this but no avail. After updating to snow leopard all of a sudden it says my battery needs to be serviced. My stats are 160 cycles with 69% battery life according to istat pro. Battery life the other day claimed to be around 80%. I tried running the battery to empty then recharging but still says it needs service. Then i tried removing the battery and the power cable, powering up holding the power button for 5 seconds to do the whole reset thing and that seemed to make the message go away for one cycle. Now its back and that solution no longer works. the about recommends taking it to the apple store. I feel like thats a wasted trip to the apple store, is there anything they can actually do to "service" the battery or am i missing something here?

2. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

nope, the only solution is a new battery

3. ssmed macrumors 6502

ssmed

macbook pro 4.1 battery issues

69% seems to be about the level at which the service symbol appears. We have 5 of these batteries (3 machines) and the new battery I recently purchased and the one in my wife's less used machine are fine, two batteries are variably reported as needing to be serviced at about 70% (these have around 280 cycles) and the oldest battery (from a MBP 1.1) is shot at 45% (337 cycles)

I get the impression that the service symbol just comes on as the health falls below a certain level and could not see anything more sophisticated in the technical specs. I suspect we should just carry on and ignore it. Is this a bit of a money generation scheme?

I do hope that the new batteries in the unibody machines not only have longer times, but also longer lives as our experience of these increases.