Macbook Pro 4,1 - GPU Test (& SSD/6GB RAM Upgrade)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mon.semblable, Aug 4, 2012.

1. mon.semblable, Aug 4, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2012

mon.semblable macrumors newbie

Hello everyone, this is my first post.

I've been working for the past 5 years with my 15" 2.2GHz 4GB RAM MBP 3,1 (Mid 2007) on simple to moderate architectural projects.
    It's amazing how fast this machine still is, given that it's able to handle moderate CAD use after 5 years, even with a normal 5400rpm drive and only 128MB of VRAM!
    I use ArchiCAD 15, AutoCAD 2012 and CS5 (Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign) on Snow Leopard.

The only problem I had with it until now was the infamous NVidia 8600M GT issue, but that happened a couple of years ago so I got my motherboard replaced under warranty.

Anyway, lately I got some LCD connection problems: I bike every day with computer in my rucksack, and often when I turn it on, I get some white lines on the screen or part of it goes black. I have to wait for a couple of minutes for everything to get back to normal.

It would have costed me way too much to have it repaired so I decided to buy a slightly better model from early 2008 (the last before the Unibody MBP). Precisely, the new one has a 2.5GHz processor, 512MB VRAM (same 8600M GT) and the same, beautiful matte screen. Immaculate condition, due to the plastic case it has been kept in.
    I've got it for 500€ and I will pay for it tomorrow, after having it checked.

Now, my main question:
    Is there a quick test I could perform, to find out whether the GPU will give me the known 8600M GT problem?

I would be very thankful if someone could explain me until tomorrow how to test the GPU. The computer has been bought in April 2008 so it's out of the 4-year warranty.

I also apologise for the long post, but I wrote it since there are many architects/students wondering whether some older C2D or dual i5 machines with integrated Intel HD 4000 would do it for them. My answer would be a definite YES, unless they have models weighting over 100MB and they expect to see real-time shadows and lighting effects while modeling.

Anyway, thanks a lot, sorry for the digression and in case someone could recommend me (from experience) a good SATA II SSD drive for my new MPB 4,1 and an online store to buy 6GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM in Europe I will appreciate it a lot!

P.S. I know that with 300€ more, I could have bought myself a new Lenovo S430 with i5, 8GB RAM and NVidia 620M but I don't want to part with MBP, I just love it! :)

2. haajkoe macrumors newbie

I have the same machine, I upgraded to 4 gigs of ram.

The sata controller is limited to slow sataI, so it doesn't matter which SSD you get. Just download 'Trim enabler' to avoid screwing the ssd.

I have a boot time of aprox. 23 seconds

I'm running mountain lion. My SSD is a cheap OCZ Vertex 2 60 GB.

I have a Chinese-style (ATA) OptiBay that I got for $10 on eBay, in which my original hard-drive sits in.

As for the GPU, there are no issues with this revision that I know of, you're safe with it.

Hope it helps

3. mon.semblable thread starter macrumors newbie

hey haajkoe, thanks a lot!
    I've already bought the machine and it runs perfectly!
    tomorrow I'll get an ssd