Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tomas Cokis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2009
Perth, Australia
I'm unsure whether my Macbook pro (4,1 - Early 2008) has an OpenGL problem, I've had it for 2 years now, and while I've always secretly been disapointed at its performence, I was recently stunned at how horrible its graphics card is when I ran it through Xbench and it only ran the opengl test at ~100 fps, while an old pre aluminium imac (friends) from late 2006 got ~250 fps.

My machine is the 17-inch model with a GeForce 8600M GT graphics card, while the imac was running with a ATI Radeon X1600.

Is this a defect in my machine? Are all portable graphics cards this bad?

I have read about defects in the 8600 card that stop it from rendering at all, despite what my common sense tells me could this be some strange variant of it?

If anybody has a similar macbook pro could they run xbench and compare their results?

If this is a stupid question I query in advance.

65kid

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2008
Xbench hasn't been updated for 3 and a half years. Xbench probably simply gives you wrong values because the OpenGL drivers have probably changed very much since then and Xbench officialy doesn't even support today's hardware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.