Macbook pro (4,1) OpenGL Sluggish?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tomas Cokis, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Tomas Cokis macrumors newbie

Tomas Cokis

I'm unsure whether my Macbook pro (4,1 - Early 2008) has an OpenGL problem, I've had it for 2 years now, and while I've always secretly been disapointed at its performence, I was recently stunned at how horrible its graphics card is when I ran it through Xbench and it only ran the opengl test at ~100 fps, while an old pre aluminium imac (friends) from late 2006 got ~250 fps.

My machine is the 17-inch model with a GeForce 8600M GT graphics card, while the imac was running with a ATI Radeon X1600.

Is this a defect in my machine? Are all portable graphics cards this bad?

I have read about defects in the 8600 card that stop it from rendering at all, despite what my common sense tells me could this be some strange variant of it?

If anybody has a similar macbook pro could they run xbench and compare their results?

If this is a stupid question I query in advance.

2. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

My 8600m gt has been giving me horrible performance of late. I'm not sure if this is part of the problem of the card slowly dieing....

3. Tomas Cokis thread starter macrumors newbie

Tomas Cokis

4. tkboss88 macrumors member

hmmm i just ran the bench and i only get 103 fps on openGL. i have a 13" MBP.

5. 65kid macrumors newbie

Xbench hasn't been updated for 3 and a half years. Xbench probably simply gives you wrong values because the OpenGL drivers have probably changed very much since then and Xbench officialy doesn't even support today's hardware.

6. Tomas Cokis thread starter macrumors newbie

Tomas Cokis

Thank God!

Are there any new bench tests I can run?