Macbook Pro 4.1 poor performance

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Filipo, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Filipo macrumors newbie

Dear all,

Somebody stole my MacBook Pro 4.1 battery a few month ago and I am running this machine without one right now.
    My system performance is very poor.

Maybe the system can't work normally without the battery. Less power?

Here are some results.

The first photo is with a battery and the second one is without a battery.

Attached Files:

2. kolax macrumors G3

The battery is needed or your laptop will throttle itself.

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

All apple laptops cut down their power to half with the battery out. It's meant to prevent surges during a power outage I believe.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, they don't cut their power down to half, and it has nothing to do with surges during a power outage.
    This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

Yes they do. I've read it on apple's website even.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2332

Get your facts straight, please.

And to boot, just look at his benchmark: 1.25 divided by two? .625, what was his score without the battery? .66, pretty damn close to half if you ask me.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I just quoted that article. Quote where it says anything about about "cutting power down to half" or "preventing surges during a power outage". It doesn't. My facts are absolutely correct. 50% of benchmark scores is not the same as 50% of power. Not even close.

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

Notice that the benchmark regarded the processor only. Which would mean a 50% decrease in clock speed since it is the exact same processor in the same computer doing the same benchmark.

I'm not going to argue the fine details of this on the internet, fact is, macbook and macbook pro's with removable batteries take a huge and noticable power hit when the battery is removed.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Even 50% clock speed isn't the same as "cutting power in half". The statement from Apple's site is accurate: "the computer will automatically reduce the processor speed." Nothing is said about "half" or "50%" of clock speed, benchmarks, power, etc.

9. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I think your comparisons have a lot to do with the huge results on paper. A Porsche 911 is a fast car, but when compared to a Porsche 911 GT2, it is a slow car.

I'm not saying your comp isnt having issues, but the ones you are using for comparisons are outright powerhouses. The second 'slowest' is a beefy processor to say the least and the fastest is well, GT2 fast.