MacBook Pro 4G or 8G? Thanks

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lovu123, Oct 30, 2012.

1. lovu123 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,
    This is my first post on this forum and i need some advice. This Christmas i plan on getting my very first macbook pro (i could never afford one before) but i finally saved enough to get one and i was wondering what was the better thing to get for my price range i can not spend more than at most $2000. So should i get quad core i7 with just 4GB ram or dual core with 8GB ram.

13.3" MacBook Pro
    # dual-core 2.9GHz Intel Core i7
    # 8GB RAM
    # 750 GB 5400-rpm hard drive
    # Intel HD Graphics 4000
    $1454

15.4" MacBook Pro
    # Quad-Core 2.2GHz Intel Core i7
    # 4GB RAM
    # 500 GB hard Drive
    # Intel HD Graphics 3000 and AMD Radeon HD 6750M,SuperDrive,Thunderbolt port,Aluminum unibody,Glossy Widescreen Display
    $1499

Thanks for your advice.

2. chriscl macrumors 6502

chriscl

If you are going to only upgrade the RAM, buy the 4GB model from Apple and upgrade the RAM from Crucial (or similar) as it is significantly cheaper.

I paid £60 (GB Pounds) for a *16GB* Crucial upgrade from my MacBook Pro (mid-2012 13", originally shipped with 4GB).

Installation is easy, you can do it yourself in five minutes without affecting the warranty.

3. designs216 macrumors 65816

designs216

Get the quad since the processor can't be upgraded. Although most apps today for the most part are not core-aware, that is changing. Getting the quad core now will give longer useful life vs. a duocore rig. Save up to buy RAM and upgrade that later if necessary. Memory has come way down in price compared to a year ago and it's still getting cheaper. Congrats on saving up to buy the machine outright -- you'll enjoy it much more.

4. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

I agree with both posters above. Aftermarket memory upgrades are relatively "cheap" and not difficult to do. Go for the quad core & save for an upgrade. I bumped my MBP to 16 gig for under around $100.

Macsales.com currently has a 16 gig upgrade for my MBP for $107

5. lovu123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much!!!

----------

Thanks a lot!!

----------

Thank you.

6. Otz Chieem macrumors newbie

Honestly if i were you id exercise a little more patience and get the base rMBP it is honestly the best deal with a student discount of 200 dollars making it 1999.00 I honestly think it is the best laptop on the list if you have the money. I don't so im hoping to get a 1299.00 iMac or maybe gasp* MBA which is probably the best option for portable laptop just sucks with games. rMBP doesnt suck with games and has an amazing screen and twice the ram on the gpu 650m 1gb rather than 512mb this and the ssdd more than make the rMBP the best deal in the 1500-2000 price range (-200 student discount, you dont have to be a student ;)

7. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

Yebubbleman

Depending on how you elect to get the 15", since the one you post is a discontinued model, I'd say go with it over the 13". If you're going with an Apple refurbished model, then you get the same warranty and AppleCare eligibility that you do with a brand new model. If this is left-over stock that your local retailer and is an otherwise brand new model and you can use your receipt to prove to Apple that you bought it then (and can thusly start your warranty now), I'd say do it. If it is used, I'd recommend the new 13" instead.

As far as speed, the 15" you list is better and will likely be supported as long, if not longer than the 13" you list.