Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DJ-R

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2010
I wasn't expecting MacBook Pro with 4GB ram will run out so fast. On Windows it never hit the max.

Look at the photo I attached. Only a few megabyte left of ram. Wow and everything else became so sluggish.

4GB of ram... I have Mail, Adium, Contact, Preview and Photoshop which I just launched.

Only these programs are running, nothing else... just folders.

What is going on? 4GB of ram can't handle this? I need 6GB or 8GB? really?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-09-24 at 1.02.57 AM.png
    Screen shot 2010-09-24 at 1.02.57 AM.png
    194 KB · Views: 1,087

Shadow Runner

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2010
Yes you don't have a lot free but you have 600 mb of inactive.
This means your mbp has that in "reserve" for the application it was for. If you ever open it again it doesn't need to reload that ram.

I believe you can close those apps by right clicking and clicking quit on the icon. That should help clear up some ram.

I believe what I am saying is correct but could be off by a bit.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
prl_vm_app (Parallels) is the problem. you shouldn't be running out of RAM unless you're doing stuff in PS, or any other resource-intensive application.

iPhysicist

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Dresden
4GB of ram... I have Mail, Adium, Contact, Preview and Photoshop which I just launched.

What about WindowsServer, Safari, Parallels, iTunes... (>1GB of hogged Ram)? You have to quit (CMD+Q) them to close them. Just hitting the red button wont do anything but closing the window. The Application is running though.

Reelknead1

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
I have the same issue, I some times run out of ram just using word, itunes, and safari. Its crazy, luckily my SSD doesn't slow the computer down to much with swapping but its still driving me crazy because I have to have to restart the computer everyday.

AdamRock

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
Toronto
i also had this issue, but its not realy an issue its due to the multi tasking and you have to fully quit out of programs to free up space on the ram but i was also thinking of going up to 8gb just to save me time.

tastychicken

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2008
I think alot of users get caught up in the terms and look at only the free memory available.

Take a look at this article which explains the differences in detail:
http://www.macyourself.com/2010/02/17/what-is-free-wired-active-and-inactive-system-memory-ram/

From the article for the lazy:
Free memory
As one might expect, this is the RAM that is sitting there with nothing to do. It is completely free for the system to use when needed.

Wired memory
Critical information stored in RAM by the system, its kernel, and some key application components. This stuff is basically frozen – it allocates its space and never moves to the hard drive or gets replaced with user-level data when RAM becomes scarce. An interesting thing to note about wired memory is that it scales based on how much total system memory is installed. For example, a Mac with 1GB of RAM may show 400MB of wired memory, while a Mac with 4GB of RAM may use 700MB. The more memory you have, the more your Mac wants to use it!

Active memory
Information currently in use or very recently used. If you’ve got Safari, GarageBand, iTunes, and Photoshop all going at the same time, your active memory is likely fairly high. Quit one or two of these applications and active memory will shrink. But not all of it will go straight back to free memory… some goes to the next category.

Inactive memory
One of the great things about Mac OS X’s memory management system is that it never stops working for you. Inactive memory is basically a handy storage space for convenient access to your most used tools. Let’s say you were working in iPhoto and decide to quit it. Some of the information that was stored in active memory by this application will be moved to inactive memory. This way, when you open iPhoto next time it will load up faster than before. Why? Because the computer is not reading everything from its slow hard drive again. I just ran a quick test myself to illustrate this point: After a system restart, I opened iPhoto and it took 3 Dock icon bounces to launch. I quit iPhoto, did some other stuff, and came back to it a few minutes later. This time it launched in 1 bounce.

How do I know if I should upgrade my Mac’s RAM?
Now that we all better understand how our RAM is being used, it’s much easier to determine whether or not more system memory is needed. Most people look at the number next to free memory and think a low amount means they need more RAM. This isn’t always the case. As previously mentioned, active memory can get released to inactive memory when it’s no longer in use. And this is almost always a good thing, since it can increase speed and responsiveness. So low free memory is something to be happy about! Your RAM isn’t sitting there being wasted – Mac OS X is utilizing it for your benefit.

Instead, you should be concerned when free AND inactive memory are both very low on a regular basis. This situation means most of your RAM is going to wired & active memory because your running applications are demanding all of it right now. Wired & active memory hold precedence, therefore they can grab as much RAM as they need and can force free & inactive memory to give up their space.

Rizvi1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
Maryland
Is taking a macbook pro to 8gb ram worth it if you're in parallels a lot? My 15" 2.53ghz i5 build is on its way to me and has 4gb ram like the rest of the builds

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
I think alot of users get caught up in the terms and look at only the free memory available.

Take a look at this article which explains the differences in detail:
http://www.macyourself.com/2010/02/17/what-is-free-wired-active-and-inactive-system-memory-ram/

From the article for the lazy:

the free memory still matters. freeing inactive memory and reallocating it takes more time than it does to allocate free memory. having mere megabytes of memory is not normal and slows the system down to a crawl. moreover, there's no question something's wrong because 500MB has been paged out and 1.6GB has been swapped.

start with repairing permissions. is the OS updated? and check the Accounts - Login Items and /Library/LaunchDaemons for Parallels.

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
i've posted this before, but i wanted to mention again that i've had this problem nonstop since installing snow leopard. i understand inactive memory *should* still be available if needed, but real world usage seems to suggest otherwise.

when free memory dips down to 30mb or so - and it does VERY often - the system becomes unusably sluggish and has on occassion generated up to 10gb of page-outs.

i do not have any virtual machine software on my system; i've reformatted multiple times; and most tellingly, i tried reverting to leopard for a while and the problems instantly went away (when running the exact same software) - but came back just as quickly when i decided to give snow leopard a chance again several months later.

obviously the easy solution would be to stick to leopard, but it doesn't change the fact that apple is getting lax in their software quality control... or conveniently tweaking performance requirements to match their ram upgrade options (or in my case prodding me to upgrade my entire system less than 2 years after purchase).

just sayin.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
i've posted this before, but i wanted to mention again that i've had this problem nonstop since installing snow leopard. i understand inactive memory *should* still be available if needed, but real world usage seems to suggest otherwise.

when free memory dips down to 30mb or so - and it does VERY often - the system becomes unusably sluggish and has on occassion generated up to 10gb of page-outs.

i do not have any virtual machine software on my system; i've reformatted multiple times; and most tellingly, i tried reverting to leopard for a while and the problems instantly went away (when running the exact same software) - but came back just as quickly when i decided to give snow leopard a chance again several months later.

obviously the easy solution would be to stick to leopard, but it doesn't change the fact that apple is getting lax in their software quality control... or conveniently tweaking performance requirements to match their ram upgrade options (or in my case prodding me to upgrade my entire system less than 2 years after purchase).

just sayin.

I've had a similar experience, though it was never so bad to get to 30MB free...10.6.4 made it a lot better, though.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
I have a Mac Pro tower, and it takes advantage of triple-channel DDR3 RAM allocation. It runs better when you have three slots full instead of all four (ie. running with 12GB installed instead of 16GB). When you have all four slots filled (or 8 slots on the dual), it shares the memory bandwidth between the third and fourth memory stick and your memory bandwidth is decreased by half. Also, in the "Activity Monitor" it shows most of the free memory as GREEN "Free" space when you have all the slots full, but when you are running triple-channel with only 3 slots full, most of the RAM is displayed as BLUE "Inactive" space on the RAM chart. Quite interesting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.