MacBook Pro 4GB Ram - Speed Difference

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by calabi, Oct 18, 2008.

1. calabi macrumors regular

Hello Guys!

After a few months of not posting i have a question which has been bugging me since i installed 4GB into my MacBook Pro.

I bought a Penryn MBP back in Feb and then in the summer i purchase the extra memory, however i don't really notice a speed increase? Is there something i should be doing? like calibrating the memory or something?

Any information would be great..

Thanks guys :)

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, there's no such thing as calibrating the memory. However, if you're not routinely running multiple apps simultaneously or dealing with large files, you may not be taxing your RAM as much as others.

3. TodVader macrumors 6502a

TodVader

That means you didn't really need more memory.

4. calabi thread starter macrumors regular

Good point, i think the reason i made the purchase was more because of the price of ram has dropped on the site i was watching in the summer, i wasn't sure if i would ever be that cheap again, so for £50 might have made my notebook last a bit longer, maybe i need to start gaming to notice the difference :)

many thanks.

5. CoolMacDude macrumors regular

I upgraded to 4gb in my old 2.4 MBP and it made a huge difference when running Parallels with Vista inside of OSX. If I ran it with the 2GB the computer came with it would all but lock up until Vista booted and then it was slow. With the 4GB I could allocate 2GB to both OS's in Parallels and run fine.

It was almost necessary as we don't have print drivers at work for OSX.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

2GB —> 4GB doesn't make the computer faster, only it allows you to run more applications.

7. digitalfrog macrumors regular

digitalfrog

Well..

If you max out your ram it will start swapping (eg write ram blocks back to disk) and that will slow down the whole system !

So it does not go faster than the engine is capable of, but it will take much longer to slow it down.