MacBook Pro 5,1 - boot time?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TechieJustin, Feb 20, 2010.

1. TechieJustin macrumors 6502

TechieJustin

It takes a full minute to boot up my Macbook Pro 15.4".
    I only have 2GB of RAM, but the CPU is a C2D @ 2.4Ghz. Should it take this long?

View My Video

2. weenerdog macrumors member

My 1.8ghz macbook with 1gb of ram will boot in roughly 40 seconds so yea... probably an issue. Try deleting any duplicate fonts you have. It's supposed to speed up boot time a bit

3. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

Is there a program that searches for duplicate fonts?

4. celticpride678

You can use Font Book, which comes on every Mac.

OP, use Onyx (free application) and run all the maintenance tasks.

5. m85476585 macrumors 65816

Check what's loading on startup, and I don't mean just login items. VMWare Fusion adds a bunch of services, for example.

6. ThrawnTHX macrumors member

My 13' uMBP takes 11 seconds to fully boot from the moment I press the power button. If this sounds tasty, you may want to explore replacing your hard drive with a solid state drive.

My 17' uMBP needs about 30 seconds with a solid state drive and a secondary hard drive. This is most likely due to numerous USB and Fire Wire connections that need to be identified on boot.

Not bragging by any means, but I figured I'd give you some more numbers for comparison's sake.

Cheers.

7. TechieJustin thread starter macrumors 6502

TechieJustin

I used Fontbook and resolved all the duplicate fonts.
    I will try Onyx tomorrow - I used it on Leopard but once I upgraded to Snow I never bothered to install it.
    I have Microsoft Office 2008 installed - I know it sucks but I'm an accounting student and NeoOffice just didn't cut it. That's where my duplicate fonts probably came from.
    It could be worse... my friend is travelling around the world - his 'Doze laptop has a BSOD - the registry is corrupt.

8. TechieJustin thread starter macrumors 6502

TechieJustin

I ran Onyx - the cleaning routine and pretty much everything - no noticeable change.
    Maybe its time for a reformat. I have been uninstalling and installing stuff lately.

9. celticpride678

Then go through you Library folders (System and Home folder) and delete old folders and files.

10. Hayduke60 macrumors regular

Mine's a 5.1 and takes a solid 40 seconds to boot. Mine is the 2.53/4gig model with a 7200rpm hard drive. I also have stuffbox and little snitch going at startup...........for what it's worth.

11. TechieJustin thread starter macrumors 6502

TechieJustin

I think I'm going to reformat. I have been screwing around with this thing it probably needs it anyway.
    Maybe someday I'll get an external HD and use time machine. :apple:

12. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

I avoid setting up my MB Pro 2.4Ghz's boot sequence to load any program during boot up. I have concluded over time that the slight amount of extra time required to individually load programs is more than overcome by the flexibility and improved boot speed afforded by not doing so.

13. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Does it take a long time before the Apple logo shows up after you hit the power button? If so, you're boot drive might not be selected in System Preferences > Startup Disk. Make sure it's selected.

14. TechieJustin thread starter macrumors 6502

TechieJustin

Yes, it's selected.

15. newdeal macrumors 68020

Thats slow, my 13" base macbook pro with stock hdd and 2gb ram booted in around 35 seconds including opening little snitch, better touch tool, cinch, and weatherdock. Now with the Mercury extreme ssd it does it in 17 seconds and about 10 seconds of that is the time it takes for the little spinning flower to even appear (which I presume is similar to the time a PC takes to get through the bios and is unavoidable)

16. TechieJustin thread starter macrumors 6502

TechieJustin

I wonder if this has anything to do with it.
    Burn.app was crashing on me - so I went to sourceforge's forum andposted my problem. One of the developers send me a new version, I tested it a few times. One thing I did by accident was set it to automatically delete the temporary folder's contents "burn Temporary" on quit. I accidentally set the temp folder for Burn.app to my home dir - it tried to blow everything away and almost succeeded.
    Luckily I keep my classwork on a jump drive. So I'm thinking I blew something away that is fairly critical.
    I think my only real option is to reformat - a la the Windows cure all solution! :p