Macbook Pro + 5.1 Surround Sound.. whats the best way?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by neenja, Dec 3, 2009.

1. neenja macrumors 6502

Hello,

I have a macbook pro 2.4 ghz intel core 2 duo and recently just got the logitech x540 5.1 surround sound speaker system..

So far, I have to set it into "matrix mode" and use only the green cord in the headphone jack to get the speakers to work properly.. but I would like to be able to fully use the 5.1 sound system.

What is the best way to do this? I've did some googling and found that some people suggested an external sound card, like the Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 sound card which plugs in via USB.

I also saw that some people suggested using an optical converter.

Price isnt too much of a problem for me, I just want to be able to have the best sound possible. Any help would be fantastic!

Thanks in advance guys :)

(i saw that there is a digital audio forum, but figure this one here might be better.. sorry if i chose the wrong one..)

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I believe that the X-540 does not support toslink meaning the best way to get true 5.1 surround sound would be through a (external) sound card.

3. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Optical is the best, no doubt. But you usually wont see connectivity unless you use a surround sound system or similar

4. neenja thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the quick replies guys!

yeah, it doesnt look like the x540 has any support for optical.. i see 3 cords, green black orange.. so i guess going with the Sound Blaster X-Fi usb external card is the best way to go.

ill lean towards that option for now.. gonna wait a few days to see if anyone else has better suggestions!

thanks again very much!