Macbook Pro 5.5 (2009) getting slow SSD speeds

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HitMaker, Dec 5, 2013.

1. HitMaker, Dec 5, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2013

HitMaker macrumors newbie

Hello there,

I've recently bought the Kingston V300 SSDNow and I've just made a clean installation (MAC OS Mavericks).

Before having that SSD, I had a regular Seagate HDD (Momentus 7200rpm) which had a poor performance, as well as any other HHD:

DiskSpeedTest_HDD.png

Before I bought the new SSD I thought, great I finally have SATA2 (I was thinking my Macbook Pro was only SATA1), so getting a brand new SSD will make a huge difference. But I guess I was wrong according to the performance and how the system feels:

DiskSpeedTest_SSD.png

You can see both screenshots. And by the way, TRIM is enabled using TRIM enabler:

SATA_system.png

I was hoping to stay with my old friend for a year and a half more, but I guess I will be buying a new Macbook Pro in 2014 if this is the maximum performance I can get :(

I remember that for Mountain Lion there was a firmware that was supposed to fix an issue about SATA2 running as SATA1 speeds, but for Mavericks is not available and I don't remember if I installed it. Could be happening that? I have to go back to Mountain Lion in order to fix that and reinstalled Maverick again (that will be a pain in the ass, but if that fix everything I will do it)

About this firmware, the currently SMC version is:

hardware_system.png

Hope someone can give me a hint about this!

2. HitMaker, Dec 5, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2013

HitMaker thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, I'just realized that SATA2 is working as SATA1:

SATA_nvidia.png

Anyway I can fix this?

EDIT: Ok, I am ****ed, SandForce controller won't work properly with my Macbook pro because some problem with the motherboard chipset from Nvidia.

Now to return the ssd and buy a different one. Too bad

3. Beezy253 macrumors 6502

4. HitMaker thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, I've ordered the 840 Evo.

I hope I don't encounter the same issue. :D

5. Beezy253 macrumors 6502

You should notice a huge difference.

6. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

I've found the V300 SSDNow run equally like a pig with certain intel ICH8 SATA chipset notebooks (Thinkpad T61 to name one) as well as Nvidia.

You should have no problems with the Samsung - though if you still get SATA 1 issues you may want to change the SATA cable from the logic board to the drive. They are very delicate and prone to breaking their insulation inside when they get old and moved about too much.