Macbook Pro 5,5 Freezing/Choppy??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jlalor92, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Jlalor92 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a Macbook Pro 5,5, and it is CONSTANTLY freezing for a few seconds at a time. At first I thought it was just firefox, but it will just stop and I can keep typing and 5 seconds later what i typed will show up. But it happens during other applications too, like when I will be looking at pictures the screen will freeze and load and if I keep scrolling it will fast forward to where I scrolled to. It happens all the time, 2-3 times a minute and at first it was a minor annoyance but at this point it is really irritating me.

What could cause this?
    A corrupted application?
    Bad file?
    Virus
    Will upgrading to Lion help at all?

Thank you for your help!

2. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Could be lots of things, Memory going bad, hard drive is excessively full or starting to die, applications running in the background eating up CPU cycles. Check activity monitor for memory usage and errant/ rogue processes. Run Disk Utility and verify the disk, check the SMART report and if it says failed, then your disk is failing. Run a repair disk permissions. All of these will burt nothing and could help the issues. Make sure that the disk isn't too full as that will slow the system and cause issues.

3. Jlalor92 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok cool so I verified the disk and got 2 errors, invalid volume count and invalid volume directory count.. It says the disk needs to be repaired. How can I do this? I purchased this MacBook Out of box from best buy so I do not have the CD's -___- haha.

Also, I check and I have 55gb free on my HD still, is this enough memory to function properly? I plan on upgrading my ram at the end of the month to 8gb, will this help?

Thanks for all your help.

4. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Unless you re doing lots of intensive work, RAM won't hurt, but probably won't help. You can repair the disk right there within Disk Utility. Just did mine as I realized hadn't done it in a while. If your truly need to repair the disk, you may need to boot into safe mode or from a bootable thumb drive or such to repair the drive. Sometimes it requires to boot from something other than the drive being repaired in order for the repair to work correctly (as some files and such will get locked to editing during the boot process).

5. Jlalor92 thread starter macrumors newbie

Mine says "Disk needs to be repaired... then repair in disk utility."

I cannot click the repair button its grayed out.

I'm assuming I have to boot from thumb drive and repair that way?

ahhboo -__-

6. DoctorOwl macrumors newbie

Contact Apple and ask for a Snow Leopard CD. You were meant to get one in the box.

Alternatively you might be able to repair after booting into single user mode. http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1492