MacBook Pro 5,5 Upgrade Questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marissa.anders, Mar 20, 2013.

1. marissa.anders macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm getting a second hand Macbook Pro 5,5 from a friend who recently upgraded her Mac. I'm new to using Macs so any help would be appreciated.

The Macbook Pro 5,5 is in good condition but it was recommended that the RAM and Hard Drive be upgraded.

Would anyone be able to offer me tips on what kind of Hard Drive to get? I think the maximum size is 1 TB but I wasn't sure if it's better go get a 1 TB 2.5" Hard Drive at 5400 RPM or a 750 GB 2.5" Hard Drive at 7200 RPM.

Does anyone have any thoughts on that? I'm not sure if the speed of the RPM makes that much of a difference?

Also, from what I understand, the max capacity for the RAM is 8 GB so I am going to purchase this:

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Tech...6K2-8G/dp/B001PS9UKW/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Any thoughts on this?

2. josephmccutchen macrumors member

It all depends on what you need more, space, speed, or both. If space is the greatest concern, I used this drive in my computer:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178256

It's 5400 RPM, but the extra space is great.

This drive, a 750GB, is a 7200 RPM:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136856

The RAM you found on Amazon should be fine. Hope it all works out for you!

3. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Unless you really need all that space, an SSD is highly recommended when it comes to speed increases. It is as night and day vs a HDD.

4. josephmccutchen macrumors member

Good you mentioned that; should of mentioned that one. Guess the only reason I didn't is because the OP computer is a 2009 model; wasn't sure if the SSD would perform well enough to justify the expense.

5. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

I put an old SSD in my 2006 MBP, and the difference was enormous. It opens everything faster, and in some cases MUCH faster than my 2011 top end iMac that has a normal HDD (We're talking 5x faster for Microsoft Word for instance).

A 2009 MBP has SATA2 and will be even faster than mine.

An SSD is always worth it. ;)

6. marissa.anders thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the information. I'll really only be using this as a spare/travel computer so I don't think buying an SSD would be the best investment for the computer.

Right now I'm just looking at either a 1 TB at 5400 RPM or a 750GB at 7200 RPM.

I probably won't need all that space either, but the Drives are about the same price.

From what I understand even though the 750 GB drive is faster, it really isn't that noticeable of a difference between the 1 TB.

Just wondering if anyone could confirm or argue this?

7. B... macrumors 68000

B...

The difference betwen 5400 and 7200 is nowhere near as great as the difference betwen 7200 and SSD. I would say maybe noticeable depending on how perceptive you are.

8. Doward macrumors 6502a

Absolutely recommend putting an SSD in there. The Samsung 840 250GB or 500GB would be *great*. Recommend avoiding the 120GB model.

9. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Actually go for the 840 Pro. The 840 has some reliability issues, and besides, the Pro is faster if a bit more expensive.

10. Lolito macrumors 6502

Lolito

I own that same laptop. I have a ssd and a hdd on the place of the optical drive, plus 8gb of ram. it's fast as hell...

11. Doward macrumors 6502a

What reliability issues? The 250 and 500 GB are both stellar SSDs for the price.

I can't recommend the 120GB model, though.

12. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a

How much memory is installed now? The hard drive size all depends on you. You may be fine with keeping the currently installed one. However, a memory upgrade may be very beneficial depending on what you tell me is currently installed. I'd say anything 4GB or higher the better. If you're at 2GB with ML installed it can get a little slow.