Macbook Pro 500GB 7200rpm or 128 SSD?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macwow55, Apr 16, 2010.

1. macwow55 macrumors newbie

Ok.

I'm still learning how all this works. Bear with me.

I am getting a New Macbook Pro 15 inch 2.66ghz
    8GB Ram

I dont know much about SSD so my question is:

Considering I only have 2 choices here:

the Upgrade SSD 128GB
    or
    the 500GB 7200rpm Drive

(NOTE THAT I HAVE 7200rpm EXTERNAL DRIVES)

I will be using the computer INTENSIVELY for Photoshop (raw files etc), Audio mULTI-TRACK recording, & Video editing.

There seems to be some confusion (for me) as the wether the SSD is actually advantageous or a hindrance to these types of applications.

ANY ADVICE?

Thanks,

Scott

2. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

Wow, 8GB? That's a lot of memory...

Anyway, what I would suggest is to start with the HDD and if it doesn't work, just clone and switch.

As you said, there are certain applications that are fine with HDDs. I am not a heavy user on graphic and audio applications (you might just as well ignore what I advise), but I went through these options and in the end I just couldn't justify 128GB of SSD. Maybe 32-64... but 128 - that's a lot of premium to be ahead of today's mainstream technology.

EDIT:

Actually, as I'm going through the options, I would only have the anti-glare screen as an extra and try to upgrade the RAM and HDD or SSD by third party roots. If money is not an issue, you might just as well splash out of that $200. It's nothing, compared to that $400 RAM upgrade.

3. Jedi macrumors regular

Jedi

IMO :)

Save your money on ram and just stick to 4 Gig`s and get the SSD.

You will gain longer battery life and faster boot times, plus eliminating a rotating mass in a notebook is always a good thing !

Gary 

4. designs216 macrumors 65816

designs216

I have a 15 also and I chose your latter option. I use my DVD drive often and the cost per GB for SSDs is still pretty high. Also, I'm waiting for the internal fragmentation issues to be sorted out in later generations. Because I need a dual-boot config and ample room for storage, I went with the Seagate Momentus 500GB 7200.

If you do go the SSD route, I will say that they make your machine feel lightening fast. I use the X25-M G2 as the boot/apps drive on my Mac Pro.

5. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

Im going to agree with that.

Why not just get the stock version then go from there.

macconnection is already offering rebates, stock 2.66 i7 is $1969 AR (and maybe no tax?) -- $600+ less than what you are looking at right now.

http://www.macconnection.com/IPA/Shop/Product/Detail.htm?sku=11301159&cac=BrandsItem

Can you define "intensively" for me? I mean my idea of what that means might be totally different than yours. Im thinking several 1 gig layered Photoshop files are pretty "intense", but maybe you dont? A few dozen 50 meg RAW files are *not* very "intense". Even my old iMac could chew through that like warm butter.

As for the SSD thing:

http://www.barefeats.com/hard130.html

http://www.barefeats.com/hard121.html

6. macwow55 thread starter macrumors newbie

SSD etc

Hi,

Thanks for the response. I looked into mac connections and it appears there IS tax to NY state. I get the educational discount from apple so that helps out a little bit.

Did a bit of research today.

DO u recommend buying 3rd party ram for upgrade?

What about SSD or regular hard drive replacement? Any Idea what drive apple uses for their HD? 5400 & 7200 models?

Is it hard to install these things on your own? Will it void the warranty?

Thanks,

Scott

7. mcruzader macrumors regular

None of those items are hard to install at all, all you need a a #0 phillips screw drive and thats its, well and a torx for the harddrive screws. Replacing ram with your own or the hdd will not void your warranty, for ram I got gskill from newegg and it works wonderfully, as far as an SSD I recommend the Intel one.

8. Black.Infinity macrumors 6502

Black.Infinity

can any one here let me know what kind of hdd apple use for 5oogb 7200rpm

i wanna know exact model

9. Jedi macrumors regular

Jedi

That is why I miss OS 9 :(

It was easy then , you could tell the make , OS-X / HD ???

Gary 

10. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Apple (and almost all computer companies) do not use a single type/ brand of hard drive for one particular machine. It makes more sense to source from many companies (e.g. if one type has a problem, all MacBooks don't break, avoid problems with tight supply etc.). Normally, I'll think you'll find they're I think they tend to prefer Hitachi/ Toshiba and Samsung.