Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Soulflower

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2011
I've been trying to wait but I am going to have to purchase a new Macbook Pro soon. I'm trying to decide if I should get the 1 TB or just move most of my photos and larger files off of my computer so that the 512 will be large enough.

Recommendations?

What is the best way to move and save photos if I take them off?

I'm watching for a Black Friday sale but if anyone knows of any specials going on, please let me know. Thank you for your help.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
Temecula, CA
Bestbuy has a sale starting today. I don't know if you're looking for a 13 or 15 and also don't know your usage etc to make a recommendation, you could offload your photos onto an external SSD, that's what I do on my iMac, or if you can afford it, go for the 1TB ...

Howard2k

macrumors 68040
Mar 10, 2016
External SSD, NAS, or Cloud are the three main options.

Are you using photo management software such as Lightroom? Or just keeping your photos in folders? If the former, you need to consider how it will handle the three options. Lightroom will work fine with an eternal drive or NAS, but I'm not sure how it handles cloud services, for example.

Soulflower

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2011
I'm just keeping all my photos in iPhoto. To copy to an External SSD would I just open iPhoto and click select all and copy?
[automerge]1573153662[/automerge]
Bestbuy has a sale starting today. I don't know if you're looking for a 13 or 15 and also don't know your usage etc to make a recommendation, you could offload your photos onto an external SSD, that's what I do on my iMac, or if you can afford it, go for the 1TB ...

I'm looking at the 13" I think. The only place I've seen that offers the 1TB is on the Apple website. That is why I was trying to decide if I should just go with the 512 and take advantage of the sales.
[automerge]1573154291[/automerge]
Which processor do you recommend?

Last edited:

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
I like to keep photos and itunes libraries on the main drive. For me 512gb is too small, as there would be little left over for other use. 1tb would be the minimum for me.

You should see how big your current libraries are to give you an idea of how much space they’ll take up. How long it took to get that size and how long you plan to keep the new laptop.

You can setup a new mac from a time machine backup. So that is a way to transfer Photos from your old mac to a new one.

Reactions: Soulflower

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
Temecula, CA
I'm just keeping all my photos in iPhoto. To copy to an External SSD would I just open iPhoto and click select all and copy?
[automerge]1573153662[/automerge]

I'm looking at the 13" I think. The only place I've seen that offers the 1TB is on the Apple website. That is why I was trying to decide if I should just go with the 512 and take advantage of the sales.
[automerge]1573154291[/automerge]
Which processor do you recommend?
sometimes you can find deals for 1 TB models on amazon or B&H (I think), but yes, typically only on apple ...
I hope you meant Photos and not iPhoto ... how many photos do you have, what size is the library?
I played with iPhoto and then Photos but neither met my needs, I used Aperture til beginning of this year and now Lightroom. Have 70k+ photos the take up ~ 600GB, the originals re on external SSD and the index is on my main drive, so far works beautifully and will upgrade the eternal SSD when it's getting full.

on processor, you'll find many varying opinions here, for me, since I also use photoshop, i7 it is, plus, I like to keep my HW for 5+ yrs so I like to over spec at purchase time

jerryk

Contributor
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Unless you work with them often, I would get those photos off onto a storage device, or better yet two. It would be a real shame if the loss or destruction of your computer also meant the lose of your photos. Maybe copy them to an external drive and back them up to the cloud.

That would also let you go with a 512 GB drive and save a bit of money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.