Macbook PRO 550 dollar price loss! OUCH!!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kincept, Dec 31, 2008.

1. kincept macrumors newbie

can you believe how much the even new penryon chipsets MBP have lost in their worth?

this is my first apple and I always heart how great the resale is.

I paid 1900 for my 250 HD 2.4 ghz, and cant believe tha within six months it dropped to 1350,

even my old toshiba didn't have that kind of loss when the new models came out.

my gf macbook she still sold for 750 after two yars when she bought it for a grand!

I regrett my choice to buy new! and I should have just bought the tower used for the same price! it would still be worth something!

PS>

I hate the new MBP, the keys suck compared to the old ones, and the black trim is an eye sore! not to mention the problems ive heard!

sigggghhh.

2. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Its because of the explosive GPU. Just a one off methinks.

3. trancepriest macrumors 6502

trancepriest

Did you think you were buying antique furniture?

4. TheCakeIsALie macrumors regular

agreed. it's a computer, and 6 months is a long time for the computer world.

5. green tea macrumors member

the new unibody laptops took a **** on the market of used mb/mbp prices. We can also thank the transition to Intel, due to constant updates. Pre-Intel days, it would take forever for an update.

6. weckart macrumors 68040

Don't ever buy a new car, then. $550 is nothing compared with the depreciation you will suffer just driving it out of the showroom.

7. dnguyen macrumors regular

yep it sucks, also i think the lower (non pro) models hold their value better

8. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

Lets compare % then and not $. Lets make it fair.

thats 25% vs a car maybe 10-20%. nuff said.

Its tech, but anytime a "new model" anything comes out, the old model resale goes down, part of the game.

9. nicfargo macrumors member

It may have dropped $550 in 6 months, but it won't budge until a new release/refresh. So you'll see your resale price stay the same for about a year or so. Not too shabby if you ask me. It's just like if you buy new right away you get a decent deal. If you wait til the end of the lifecycle...the cost for the hardware you get is way overpriced.

10. MusicallySilent macrumors member

The New MBPs and the Explosive GPU probably caused much of the initial price drop. However now that it is down to 1350, it will probably decrease more slowly if that is of any more comfort to you. 5 year old powerbooks sell for 400 often. So that being said, your MBP depreciation value should slow down over the next year or two.

But I would blame new tech (it isn't top of the line, that happens to everything). Think of it as buying a new car, you drive it off the lot, and it is no longer new. Everyone closes out old stuff upon arrival of new.

11. kincept thread starter macrumors newbie

Well yea I understand the new model thing but the IMACA DIDN"T DROP THAT MUCH IN PRICE FROM PREVIOUS GENERATIONS?

I should have bought a used MBP and the value would have stayed the same.

but truthfully I dont like the new ones despite unibody construction I think the metal keys on the old MBP are the best ever made! at tleast the 17 in is holding up.

Maybe I could trade my MBP fro a gateway? its worth the same!

I kcik myself for not getting the tower

12. kincept thread starter macrumors newbie

well I live under a rock,
    and I didn't know about the xploading GPU?

Should I get my checked out even if I dont have issues?

13. kincept thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a question I have noticed that my battery doesn't really charge about 4 hrs? Then I read that the GPU running hot can cause the fan to run more which drains the battery?
    I actually had the battery replaced but it doesn't help much?

Now this whole first apple experience sucks?

14. kincept thread starter macrumors newbie

15. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

op just so you know, once you post, if you see a mistake, you can go back and edit it

16. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Wanna know what I find to be an eyesore? Holes in the casing for latches.

Also, IPOD and IPHONE kind of make my eyes sore too

Attached Files: