Macbook pro 64-bit vista nvidia 8600m gt drivers needed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fatanimal, May 3, 2008.

1. fatanimal macrumors newbie

Hi

I just installed vista 64-bit on my macbook pro. So far everything is working out fine exept the graphics drivers. I have tried different things but nothing seems to work.

Before i Had XP 32-bit installed and used drivers from makel.org, but no vista 64-bit. also tried the new bootcamp and dl'ing from nvdia but no luck

Much appreciated if someone could drop a link to drivers that works..

thanks in advance!

2. weemanpow3 macrumors 6502

weemanpow3

3. Midgetinabikini macrumors regular

4. fatanimal thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Demigod Mac macrumors 6502a

I'm thinking about upgrading from 32 to 64 bit Vista on my Penryn MBP.

Did you have any issues installing those drivers on Vista 64? Have to use any trickery to get it working?

I ask because Vista 64 famously will refuse to install unsigned drivers, and the drivers from laptopvideo2go.com are modified to work on all laptops.

Their drivers have worked great on my Vista 32, but I'm worried that they'll fail to install on the 64-bit version.

6. MacNikon macrumors newbie

Have a look here:
    Code:
    http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=28827
    If you want to run Vista x64 on a MacBook Pro, you'll also need InputRemapper for fan control and keyboard features:
    Code:
    http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act=Print&client=printer&f=78&t=32300
    This is also a good guide for Vista x64 on a MacBook Pro:
    Code:
    http://andersonshatch.wordpress.com/2008/04/13/macbook-pro-and-vista-64-bit/

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well if you install the Vista x64 BootCamp update it includes all the 64-bit drivers.

8. MacNikon macrumors newbie

You also have to have the BootCamp 2.0.1 (or later) DVD. The original 2.0 disc does NOT support Vista x64. It's also important to note that your base installation of Vista x64 has to be RTM....not SP1. BootCamp drivers will not install on SP1. After the drivers are installed, then you can update to SP1.

9. lalleballe macrumors newbie

I went to the links provided above and got my graphics driver 100% up to date it seems. But something is making my computer freeze up for like 5-10seconds every now and then. At times even my graphics driver resets completely (i get a little popup about it) so something must not be correct.

I'm thinking there has to be some driver that I'm missing? Like for the motherboard or whatnot. What do you guys/gals think the issue could be?
    I'll be more than glad to provide any information needed.

I baught the macbook pro just about a month ago. I've tried to get drivers up to date to the best of my ability but there must be a driver that is incorrect or something, cuz I doubt it's the hardware since when running os x everything runs as smooth as ever.

Would love a solution since freezing up every now and then is a pain in the ass, especially if I want to game from time to time.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

10. MacNikon macrumors newbie

It may have something to do with the hardware that you have. My testing of this was with the 8600M GT 256mb, but the newer 15" MBP's have the 9400M / 9600M GT with 512MB .

Here is one option (if you haven't already done this):

Get the latest 64-bit nVidia drivers for Vista here (new as of 12-15-2008):

Code:
    http://laptopvideo2go.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=22294
    - Be sure that you download the modified INF file as well, or you won't be able to install the new drivers.

- Completely uninstall the nVidia drivers that you're using now, reboot, and then install the new ones that you downloaded. LaptopVideo2Go's website has good instructions for correctly installing these drivers.

11. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Isn't this essentially covered in the "Nvidia releases official notebook drivers for the first time ever!!! (Windows)" thread?

12. MacNikon macrumors newbie

Actually, yes.....it would be. I haven't been reading the forums lately, and simply replied to the post in this thread.