Macbook Pro 7.1 and SSD Crucial V4

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gustavoQ, Oct 5, 2012.

1. gustavoQ, Oct 5, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2012

gustavoQ macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I'm with some difficulties to make a decision and would like your help to make it.

Like I describe in the title of the topic I have a Macbook Pro 7.1, that supports only SATA 2, and I purchase a Crucial V4 256Gb. The thing is, I read some reviews and it seems this SSD have a poor performace.

What I want to ask is if I should consider return this SSD and choose another?

If a choose a SATA 3 SSD, that have more recent controllers, I'll see a significant performance boost or not?

If that is the case what are my choises? I also read that the sandforce controller is not working well in my Macbook Pro version, is that true?

Thanks for your help.

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I went with the Crucial M4 for my mid-2009 13" MBP(Also SATA II, like yours). If I had found the Samsung 830 for close to the same price I would have went with that one due to the higher write speeds.

Anyway, unless you're getting a great deal on the v4, I'd go with something else. I'd also avoid sandforce drives; from what I've read they do have issues.

I've seen the 256GB M4 on sale for $160 recently and the 256GB Samsung 830 drops down to $170-180 from time to time. OCZ makes good drives too, but I don't have any experience with them. Just shop around and read reviews.

3. gustavoQ thread starter macrumors newbie

I spent 150€ on crucial. I was thinking switch to a samsung 830, they are costing about 180€. Probably is the best choice.

4. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I think OWC has a 512 gb toshiba sata2 ssd for $279. It's supposed to work with all macbook pros.

Not the fastest thing out there, but worth a look if you've got an older MBP and want a lot of storage space without going the optibay route.