Macbook Pro - 7200rpm HD = Vibrating Keyboard?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rendition, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Rendition macrumors member

I received a MacBook Pro with 160GB 7200rpm upgrade that has been returned for a bunch of issues, which I won't go through here.

I thing I noticed is the keyboard and palm rest had an annoying slight vibration. The Apple store person said that was normal, but when I tried all the Macbook Pros on the store the, out of the 9 machines they had only 1 had the vibration (17" one).

After the visit, I came up with the theory that the 7200rpm hard-drive was causing the slight vibrations on the keyboard and palm rest as the ones in the store were all 5400rpm and the 1 17" MBP that did vibrate had the 7200rpm.

Can you guys with 7200rpm confirm or deny the slight vibration on the keyboard and palmrest?

2. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

Ever so slight if you are being pickey.

3. agore macrumors member

No vibration whatever on mine.

4. Zel macrumors regular

It's alive! What do you expect from a moving mechanical part?

5. introspectrum macrumors member

i have a mbp 2.4ghz 7200rpm too and i noticed this too especially on the bottom left side. It seems to be more obvious when the power cable is plugged in. I don't mind a slight vibration if it's just the faster HD's, but if it's something electrical than that worries me.

6. vicious7 macrumors 6502a

vicious7

Yep...if it's vibrating lightly, then it probably just normal drive movement. If its a stronger vibration with rattling and such, I'd get it checked.

7. introspectrum macrumors member

mine isn't rattling. it's just a very mild vibration. it's mostly noticeable when my fingertips are very lightly touching it.

I did some research and the HD of the MBP's is located in the lower left part of the computer, exactly where i was feeling the vibrations.

would anybody have a guess though as to why the vibration increases when it's plugged in? i'm guessing the power settings adapt and the HD spins a little faster.

8. dmaxdmax macrumors 6502

dmaxdmax

Mine is fine unless I'm looking for it - the I can notice a *tiny* vibration. I'd give it 99 and 44/100.

9. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

Might be dumb to ask, but do you have a CD in the superdrive by any chance?

10. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

Mine vibrates ever so slightly as well, you can feel it if you are looking for it, also means that it makes a slight noise when on surfaces that aren't very flat or not very solid.

Its a shame thats the way it is but, its a moving part in a very very thin notebook so thats about the best you can expect.

Im looking into changing one of my desks so that its more solid and flat just to accomodate my Macbook Pro!!! Thats how much I love the thing!!

Its one of those issues that is an issue but at the same time a non issue, once you get used to it, you wont notice it and it will seem like its not there anymore.

Enjoy the Mac!! :apple:

11. carcus macrumors newbie

Fix your macbook vibration with McDonald's Napkin

Analysis: Inadequate shock mounting of hard drive is causing resonance of hard drive through the battery (removal of battery eliminates vibration).

Solution: Insulate battery from hard drive vibration by placing cushioning material inbetween battery spring clip and metal tab on L shaped RAM door.

1. Shut down, unplug computer
    2. Open battery bay
    3. Fold approx 1”x1” piece of napkin over a few times.
    4. Place piece of folded napkin in between battery and case where the metal battery spring clip is located. Use enough napkin material to insulate the clip from the round tab but not so much that it causes excess pressure to lock the battery back into place.
    5. Razor off excess napkin material so it doesn’t look like your macbook walked out of the bathroom with toilet paper on its shoe.
    6. Enjoy a more pleasant physical relationship with your macbook.

Probably not the elegant solution that you were looking for, or how a “genius” would solve the problem, but whatever works, right? Maybe somebody else can think of a better material than the napkin.

12. nparmelee macrumors 6502

In only notice a very slight vibration if I try to feel for it. Never really noticed it before and definitely not enough of an issue to annoy me.