MacBook Pro - 7200RPM hot/noisy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stodge, Apr 14, 2010.

1. stodge macrumors member

I'm in the process of speccing my new MacBook Pro and one choice is whether to upgrade to the 7200RPM HDD. Given I'm leaning towards the i5 CPU, does anyone know yet if the 7200RPM HDD kicks out more heat or noise? Is this particular upgrade worth it? Anyone know what HDD model is in there? Thanks

2. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

More heat / noise than what ? I reckon it will be the same as previous generation notebooks. HDD noise has nothing to do with processor or graphics card. If you're too disturbed by heat and noise you could opt for an SSD.

I feel the upgrade is totally worth it, given that price has dropped by $100 on the higher two 15" models. Also, a RAM upgrade is now $200 cheaper than before.

HDD may be Hitachi or Toshiba (although I can't say for sure).

3. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I don't know about the specific model used in the new MBPs, but in my experience the 7200 rpms are noisy but not really hotter than 5400 rpms

4. mikita macrumors newbie

I've upgraded my two previous macbook pros from 5400rpm to 7200 (by myself so I know the difference). Don't worry about the heat: the disk isn't the one that makes these babies to warm up. And about the noise: It was a noticeable change to the worse with pre-unibody macbook but next to nothing with unibody.

So, in my opinion, it's very reasonable as price/preformance point of view to go for the 7200rpm option.