MacBook pro 8,1 with XP and Windows 7 Help!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by IDMah, Oct 4, 2015.

1. IDMah macrumors 6502

IDMah

Hi

I've been searching for an answer everywhere so hope someone can help.

I had Xp and Window 7 sort of installed without boot camp, but stupidly installed the whole Boot Camp setup
    that was download by BC assistant. Also Windows 7 messed up the xp install some how, they were on different partitions.

So I formatted the both NTFS partitions and tried again, re-instsalled Xp and now I just get a blinking cursor when the Xp install goes to re-boot. Any ideas? guides?

This is for my father in-law who needs a full version of Xp and Windows 7 so parallels is not an option.
    Any help welcome.

thanks
    Ian

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

I'm not sure I follow your logic, or perhaps your wording isn't what it should be.

Using VMWare or Parallels still implies you are running a fully functional, fully working Windows installation. How would it not be a full version, because it is?

Also, anything that still needs XP to run probably means it doesn't need much power to run. An iPhone's more powerful than most computers that came out with XP.

With that said, a 8,1 will NEVER work properly with XP. These guys support Windows 7 and up.

3. IDMah thread starter macrumors 6502

IDMah

My Father-in-law uses XP to control Test equipment which is very finicky.
    Which is why 'Xp' on parallels is not an option.

Pretty much giving up on the configuration.
    Living with windows 7 and one OSx install.

Kind of annoyed that I couldn't get it to work.

4. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

I use XP to program old fire alarm panels that only communicate via serial port and even I have been able to get it to work via Parallels, Fusion, or VirtualBox.
    You sure it won't work?