Macbook Pro 8,2 Unlit Screen (Backlight broken)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Flightfreak, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Flightfreak macrumors newbie

Today, I cleaned out my Macbook Pro with some duster, slapped the cover back on, and booted it up - well, it didn't actually boot up. :mad:

When I started it up, the fans were spinning up and the sleep light was showing. After a couple of RAM reseats, PRAM resets, and SMC resets, the display still shows nothing.

I took it downstairs and hooked it up to an external monitor - and boom! Display. I did a little research, and sure enough - I found the flashlight on the screen trick. Gave it a try, and I see this gameboy-style unlit screen. I think I may have bumped the display cable on the corner of the logic board - does anyone know how to fix this, or do I have to take it in and pay 200$ for them to reseat this cable?

2. mike5065 macrumors newbie

3. Flightfreak thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Binomio macrumors member

The unibodies use LED backlight for the display. You can reseat the cable, just make sure to unplug the battery and not use too much force.

5. Flightfreak thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Binomio,
    Thanks for the reply. Any more info on how the cable works? I see a metal latch that holds it down. I'm guessing I unlatch it, pull straight up, then push down and reseat the latch?

6. Binomio macrumors member

Yes pull the tab up and push it back then reinsert, make sure the tab is fully secured.

7. Flightfreak thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried that', didn't work. Any way to tell if the backlight is busted or if its just the cable?