MacBook Pro 8,3 max fanspeed change after reinstall...HELP!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Teej guy, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

This is a weird one. I have a Late 2011 17" MacBook Pro 2.5 i7. I just reformatted and reinstalled 10.8.5 and all my software. Now SMC Fan Control will only let me take the fans up to 5500rpm, not 6200rpm as was possible on my previous install. Would this have anything to do with having done an SMC and PRAM reset alongside the reinstall?

I have already tried opening package contents in SMC Fan Control/Resources/Machines.plist and replaced every instance of "5500" with "6200" and no luck. I have also made a new entry in that file as MacBookPro8,3 was not specifically listed in Machine.plist and that didn't change anything either. When I enter 6200 manually into SMC FControl it says it's not a supported number.

Any ideas?

2. Teej guy thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. Teej guy thread starter macrumors 6502a

After more troubleshooting I'm still guessing when I reset the SMC it wrote values that are different to how I received this computer directly from Apple.

Following on from my discovery of SMC-Command, is that actually just a component of SMC Fan Control? What is "Apple System Management Control (SMC) tool 0.01" which is referenced on the SMC Command page? How can I write directly to the SMC to restore the values that were present when I got this computer new? I doubt Apple will accept this problem for a warranty exchange anyway but I could be wrong.

4. Teej guy thread starter macrumors 6502a