Macbook Pro 8600M GT problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hexley, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Hexley macrumors 6502a

I've read over at http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377 that the 8600M GT in the MBP has a flaw that manifests itself in the following manner

* Distorted or scrambled video on the computer screen
    * No video on the computer screen (or external display) even though the computer is on

Now I have an off color 1-5 pixel thick vertical line an inch from the right of the screen stretching from the top to the bottom. Would this be cause by the 8600M GT flaw?

BTW it went away now. I dont know why it went away. It just went away. I tried 3 reboots and it was still there. But while I was typing this up it just disappeared.

2. Techhie macrumors 65816

Techhie

Go to Apple, tell them this problem. They will immediately exchange it for you (maybe not on the spot) regardless of wether you are in warranty or not. Coverage for this issue has been extended to all 8600M GT owners.

3. Hexley thread starter macrumors 6502a

They replace the whole notebook and not just repair it? Wow that's something. :D

4. nuncupatory macrumors member

Based on what people have previously reported, what they will usually do is run a test to determine if your GPU has failed. In some cases people who had blank screen problems still managed to pass the test, and were told they had to pay for a logic board replacement themselves. If your GPU fails the test, the fix will be free.

Most of the time they will usually repair your current computer, rather than offer you a replacement unit, unless your computer has had a bunch of repairs already, so I wouldn't get your hopes up about an upgrade.

5. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz