MacBook Pro 8GB Ram not playing well with Intel Graphics

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Version, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Version macrumors newbie

I've tried looking through the forums and couldn't find a similar thread. Hoping someone has found a solution though.

I've just upgraded my MacBook Pro 6,2 (new 15 inch i7) to 8GB of RAM *Cas 7 PC-8500 DDR3-1066 from Mushkin)

It works fine, has passed all of the Rember tests but seems to have some kind of conflict with the Intel integrated graphics card. As soon as I'm running off shared Video RAM I get terrible tearing and static on my screen. When I switch over to the nVidia discrete graphics everything works fine.

The strangest part is that once the computer has been awake and running for a few minutes everything seems to settle in and work properly.

Doesn't seem to matter how many times I restart or clear the Parameter RAM. Every restart or wake from sleep throws the integrated graphics into hysteria.

Any ideas?
    Anyone?

2. MikeinJapan macrumors regular

How much ram is RAM. Is thte machine using when it going mental?

3. Version thread starter macrumors newbie

Nothing out of the ordinary. (approx 1.3 GB for system) The screen starts flickering as soon as it starts up.

4. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

5. Yossarian macrumors member

Things that start working ok after a few minutes of warming up always sound to me like a nasty hardware problems. I.e. the tolerance of some data bus in the video system is so close that it only works once some heat has changed the physical characteristics of the hardware.

In short, take it to an Apple store but demo the problem from a cold boot!

6. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Since we're both experiencing this it more than likely could be a firmware issue. Hardware doesn't go bad after the ram is upgraded. Perhaps in the future Apple can release a firmware update for this. I don't need 8Gb of ram and can remove 4gb if I have to until it gets fixed. Only bought 8gb because I got an awesome deal on it.

7. Version thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, I've tested out a few scenarios and found that the issue is with one of my 4GB RAM sticks.

One of them works fine either on its own or paired with a 2GB stick. The other one causes the issue regardless of what I pair it with. Looks like I'm going have to RMA them and see how long it takes for a replacement.

Funny thing is both sticks pass every memory test I can throw at them.

BTW I have tested with GFX Card Status on and off. Same issues.

8. drambuie macrumors 6502a

It could be a CPU load issue. With the Core ix series, the memory controller is now on the CPU chip. Going from 4GB to 8GB doubles the bus load on the CPU. That, with the on-die GPU load could be causing instability with the integrated video's RAM access. When the system is cold, the voltage from the CPU's supply inverter could be marginal for the load, but increases when it warms up due to component tolerances. The CPU supply voltage normally varies slightly with CPU load. We're only talking tens of millivolts here.

I don't know if the CPU supply voltage is adjustable in an MBP, but if it is, the CPU voltage could be increased in 0.01 volt steps, while staying below Vmax, to see if the integrated video becomes stable on cold startups. This should only be done by someone experienced in CPU voltage tweaking, as it's easy to overvolt a CPU.

9. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

It's not even your ram as drambuie stated its probably the voltage on the cpu. Perhaps only use 6Gb until Apple can release a firmware update.

If you get another stick of ram and it does it then what? I would use either 4gb or 6gb for now until Apple officially fixes this. Anyone know how we can get this to Apple's attention?

10. Version thread starter macrumors newbie

That's a possibility, but right now the problem only occurs when one particular 4GB stick is in the computer.

Any combination using 4GBa works fine. Any combination using 4GBb causes issues.

Makes me think there's clearly some tolerance issue with the RAM stick. No?

11. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

Well I am gonna take out a 4gb stick and see what happens.

12. jblongacre macrumors newbie

Ram

I'm using Corsair XMS3 2048MB Dual Channel PC10600 DDR3 1333MHz Memory(2 x 1024MB) and it works just fine. I did my own upgrade and glad I did. Apple should have offered DDR3 RAM @1333 out of the gate but you can obviously get it aftermarket.

Some will tell u its not compatible.....don't listen to 'em.

13. MikeinJapan macrumors regular

Are you saying that you have installed ddr3 1333 and it runs at that speed? Can you show use you system information?

14. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...if you added the RAM to existing RAM in your system it down-clocked itself to the slower RAM installed already by :apple: most likely...

15. jimbobba2773 macrumors newbie

I've had the same problem after upgrading to 8GB. I've just remove the 8GB and installed it into my iMac 2.66 to boost it to 8GB. Does anyone know if there is a fix? I don't really need 8GB in my MacBook Pro but its nice to know you have the extra RAM for more VM's. Does anyone know if they get a MacBook Pro with 8GB from Apple the same problem exists?

I hope I don't have to send it in to get fixed and a firmware fix is released soon. I'll get some another 8GB for it then.

Cheers!

16. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

If several people are experiencing this issue with 8GB of ram than its definitely something with the new Intel Chips. A firmware update would most likely solve this.

In the mean time before shutting down select the Nvidia GT 330M card through GFXCard Status and that way once you reboot the 330M will be on and this will not occur then manually switch back to the Intel HD graphics.

17. Lokrado macrumors regular

What is the differance between GBa and GBb? - i'm looking to buy these, what are they?
    http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer Technology/8566DDR3S4GB/

what yours is a 6.2? mine is 2 weeks old and its a 6.1? not sure i get the system then...

and whats the differances between the one i posted and the mushkins?

18. amagpoc macrumors newbie

WARNING: Macbook Pro 15inch i7, Nuram 8gb Ram from OWC (Macsales)

I just purchased NuRam 8gb ram for a macbook pro 15inch i7. Don't bother as I have returned the ram (see the time wasted below). I get the same flickering in intel HD. Even though OWC (Macsales) tech support says they have tested on the i7. Even their website says its compatible. Companies should not post results that are not true.

History...I got the Nuram 8gb kit installed and encountered the flicker. Reinstalled and swapped slots... still flicker. Installed factory ram works good. Reinstall Nuram and flicker.... Installed one 4gb and 2gb...working good... swapped for the other 4gb and 2gb working... installed the 8gb...flicker..... somehow I discovered the intel HD was flickering and on Nvidia it was not flickering. I got the 8gb ram up and running with only the Nvidia by installing gfxCardStatus. Then everything was working good for one night (remember I manaully selected Nvidia using gfxCardStatus....you can us apples way through system prefs but that is not a solid work around)... so after almost a day worth of trouble shooting I was up and running. Even in this work around... I ran a memory testing software (Rember Software...recommended by OWC) and the ram showed that it was ok. I was going to live with this but the next day it crash on start up because it seems the computer defaulted to use the intel hd card on start up. Sad... Purchased in June 28... received ram on June 30. Returned via their slow UPS label....it just arrived today July 12. I was going to have them send me new ram... but they said they had to do testing and will not send new ram until they finish testing.... and I said testing for what... I have tested it beyond belief... So I decided this was life saying just to return the ram because it is not compatible with the i7. So I returned it and now have to wait to get the money back (even more sadness setting in). I hope this helps with peoples decision to purchase Nuram for your Macbook Pro 15inch i7.

I am going to purchase 8gb ram kit from Apple Retail store (I hope I can purchase from the retail store) and see what happens. Hopefully there won't be any issue. Will post if it works or not.

If anyone has success with 8gb ram in a Macbook Pro 15inch i7 please post your results. Thanks

19. BobbyCarbn macrumors regular

BobbyCarbn

I have 8GB of NuRam in my 2010 15 inch MBP i7 and have no issues at all. Must have been a few bad chips in the batch.

20. waynema macrumors member

bought a 2x4GB set on June 2nd 2010. Never seen flickering with intel graphics nor nvidia.

21. stuguru macrumors newbie

Crucial RAM

Hi guys

I recently upgraded my 15" macbook pro 6.2 (mid 2010 - i7) with 8gb (2x4gb) of RAM. I bought the ram from ramcity (in Australia) and had lots of issues - flickering screen when it used the integrated graphics, a couple of kernel panics, freezes. You name it, I had it. Anyway, I ended up getting a couple of new sticks of ram (2x4gb) from crucial and all the problems have disappeared. I will keep you posted, but it really points the finger at dodgy ram. Ramcity were reasonable about returning the ram but I figured I use this machine to earn money and sometimes I am in very remote areas. The last thing I want is to get a slightly better batch that might fail when I am stuck in the jungle.

Good luck with your upgrades.

Stu