Macbook Pro 9400 to MBP 320M Replacement?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by w00t951, May 3, 2010.

1. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I have an early 2010 13" (NVIDIA 9400M) Macbook Pro. While it is still under warranty, I am not in the grace period. Just now, the logic board or some other critical component failed, as the computer will not boot at all and charging makes a burning smell. If this computer is from the previous generation and I need a replacement (I am a poor student) will Apple give me the older 9400M computer or will they give me the newer, 320M computer? Thanks, and personal experiences would be great.

2. w00t951 thread starter macrumors 68000

w00t951

By the way, the computer has a 250 GB HD and a 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 4 GB of system memory.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

They will likely replace the logic board and other parts needed. If you're lucky they may replace it but that still doesn't guarantee that you get current gen

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Unless it has failed 4 times, you won't get a replacement.

5. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Depends on the country you live in, in Norway you will get a new after 3 major failures. I had two logic boards, one screen with spotting issues on my before I got a new one, and a dead charger (didn't count as it wasn't a major failure and it got replaced by just handing it over at my store).

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well the 4th one is the when you are eligible for the replacement.

Third repair if you push for it; I have yet to see a computer get replaced on the 2nd repair.

7. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

My 2nd Powerbook G4 got replaced after first failure. It was only a minor upgrade, from 1.33Ghz to 1.5GHz tho, and my 1.33GHz was just half a year old if I remember correctly.
    I have no idea why, but they just called me and asked me if they could just replace the computer instead of repairing it.
    I ofc did say yes.

I also had a PowerMac G4 (Sawtooth 450mhz) that was DOA and got replaced by a new one. (This one was replaced my the dealer I guess, since I never dealt with apple)

Both of these was a long time ago tho, the powerbook early 2005 and the PMG4 in 2000.

8. w00t951 thread starter macrumors 68000

w00t951

I think that it is worth noting that the Apple Premium Retailers (Right now I'm in South Korea until summer vacation) replaced my first one without even checking the internals. They just tried to turn it on, failed, and replaced it.