Macbook pro A/C or battery operated performance

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by illest-one, May 7, 2008.

1. illest-one macrumors newbie

Hi,

I own a macbook pro 2.4, 2gb ram, 256mb 8600gt.

Issue:
    When my macbook pro is running off the battery, I notice the performance when playing WoW (World of Warcraft) is stunning. FPS is in the 40-60 range and CPUs Temp spikes to the 70 ranges b/c its probably working hard. But when battery is removed and running on A/C alone, the performance of my mbp seems to be cut in half. FPS dips down to 18-25 range and CPUs temp never go above 55C. I can safely assume its hardly working. Reason for removing the battery and running on A/C is b/c I heard it saves the battery's life and i usually use my MBP at home. Any reason why this is the case?

Converted from PC to MAC and glade as *BEEP*

2. Kaupa macrumors regular

You could buy and install Coolbook, that helps and makes it possible to remove the battery without a loss in performance.

3. illest-one thread starter macrumors newbie

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

why take out the battery? modern lithium batteries are smart enough to "trickle charge" so the battery isnt left at full charge all the time. i even have conformation from a Mac Genius over the phone that its fine leaving a MacBook on charge for extended periods of time IF you calibrate your battery every 2-4 weeks.

and if your take out the battery one knock of the magsafe will shutoff your Mac which is bad for components with moving parts like the hard drive and optical drive and also annoying if you lose work. better to leave it in i say.

5. illest-one thread starter macrumors newbie

What do you mean by calibrate the battery and how is it done?

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

There's a battery guide on this website, you could always click it and see.

7. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

Did you not read the posted article? There is a specific reason why the computer underclocks itself with the battery removed.

"If the battery is removed from a MacBook or MacBook Pro, the computer will automatically reduce the processor speed. This prevents the computer from shutting down if it demands more power than the A/C adaptor alone can provide. "

8. illest-one thread starter macrumors newbie

ahhh i have not searched up anything like that b/c i thought it was just my mbp but it seems like everyone else is doing the samething. Phew that explains everything =).
    thanks guys and gals