Macbook Pro a lemon...perhaps a lemon tree, or an orchard

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by coriforia, Aug 10, 2011.

1. coriforia macrumors newbie

I bought a Macbook pro in March 2008 and since then have had nothing but problems. Thankfully I bought Applecare but that expired in March of this year and I continue to have problems. In the 3 years I've owned it I've replaced: a hard drive, screen, graphics card, 3 logic boards, temperature sensor, l/o adapter, RAM and now they can't figure out why it keeps shutting off randomly and are sending it away to be fixed because the store genius's can't fix it. I'm glad since its an ongoing problem (shutting off randomly) that they are still covering the costs even though I'm out of warranty, but I'm still frustrated I have the problem to begin with.

To make matters worse, as a back-up while my MBP has been in the shop I've been using my 7 and a half year old Sony VAIO laptop that still works great! Kind of irked I spent $2,000 on this laptop that is just a lemon. Any other people have so many issues with their MBP or did I just get a dud? :(

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

The older models with the 8600M were notorious to have the logic board issues, although I think you got an exceptionally bad one.

3. Meetster macrumors member

Ask for a replacement, talk to the manager... you will get a brand new one MBP 2011.

4. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

I am astonished you haven't been issued a replacement after that many repairs!

5. head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

6. EvenStranger macrumors member

From experience, requesting a new computer is best done through Customer Relations, not the store manager. Customer Relations is there exactly for this kind of situation. A decision to replace the computer will usually come from them rather than a store manager. A manager at the retail level has retail level concerns when replacing a computer - inventory, metrics, etc. CR has none of those issues - they can pull right from the warehouse and resolve without the typical retail headaches a store manager would have to face.

7. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I have a late 2008 MBP and I haven't had any major issues with it. It's never needed a trip to the Apple Store. If I were you I would have requested a new computer before your AppleCare warranty expired, just to be safe. At least they're still covering repair costs, but you should ask and see if it can still be replaced. They'll be able to look up the history on it and see how many times it's been in for repair. It really sounds like you just got a bad one :(

8. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

The first thing I noticed in your post is that they replaced the logic board three times. That alone would have caused me to ask for a replacement. I had a replacement MBP issued after a couple problems and I asked them if it wouldn't be cheaper for them to simply replace it. They agreed and the new machine has been flawless for nearly three years.

9. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

After that many repairs apple has spent an arm and a leg on you. If you ask for a new computer, you shall receive. They're probably getting just as sick of the repairs as you are haha

10. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

Although this is a different company, HP replaced my last laptop after the first problem, when it developed a second... and that was from tech support in India (turns out if you ask where they are, they have to tell you.)

I'm surprised a company with (supposedly, i've never dealt with them) customer service doesn't suggest a replacement more often...

I would demand a replacement; i expect you will get one.

11. coriforia thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks all for your feedback. I did already talk to the store about getting a new one, but they wouldn't. I just tried calling Apple Customer Service and they sent me to a senior advisor but he said he can't. He said since they sent it away to be fixed, if THAT doesn't work they will look into options. But I have to wait to see if this place will fix it.

One thing that kind of annoyed me was that what he was looking at as far as documentation doesn't match what my memory serves me as whats been done. He shows they've only replaced the logic board once but I know it's been more. I guess it wasn't documented? And he's saying replacing the screen and graphics card and hard drive is a totally separate issue then what I've having now so that doesn't count for getting a new computer. I'm going to have to check all my files when I get home and see if I have the receipts from the work completed since its not in their computer system. Very frustrating! Think I may just go back to windows and sell this mac when I get it back.... anyone in the market for a 2008 macbook pro that may or may not shut off randomly and not turn back on? :D