MacBook Pro A1150 Refuses To Boot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by meowsus, Sep 23, 2011.

1. meowsus macrumors newbie

Hello friends,

I have a strange issue. Both my girlfriend and business partner are Mac users and have recently (within the last year or so) purchased new Mac laptops. Their previous laptops were both MacBook Pros model A1150. Both of them left these A1150s sitting around for a few months, since they weren't as useful to them as before.

Finally, when the time came to turn on these computers, BOTH refuse to turn on. When you hit the power button, the light near the trackpad turns on, the CD drive makes its little noises and the HDD is definitely spinning, but is not being accessed (as in, you can hear it whirring but not the sound it typically makes during a boot sequence).

Both have, very rarely, shown the gray screen where the giant power logo is displayed along with the message saying the computer needs to be turned off. When the machine is shut off, it fails to get back to that screen again.

My business partner attempted to reset the NVRAM on his (Command-Option-P-R at Boot) and both computers have had their SMCs reset.

I don't want to speculate, but it doesn't seem like a hardware issue, unless these boards are created specifically to die when not in constant use.

I'm looking to try and troubleshoot what the problem might be. I want to get both of these up and running without having to bring it into the shop, because I'm more than capable of replacing components and testing on my own.

Thanks in advance!

2. head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

can you explain "the light near the trackpad turns on"??? not sure what this is.

edit: [do u mean the sleep light indicator???]

also can you show us the pic of the "giant power logo"?

trying to find out more info b4 we can diagnose the problem here...

3. meowsus thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I do mean the sleep light indicator, and I've attached a picture of the error screen I was talking about.

Now, this is strange. I took the hard drive out of my business partner's laptop in order to get the data off the drive for him, since we presumed the computer to be shot. I had the machine dismantled for a bit over 24 hours before I put the drive back in, reassembled, and put the battery back in as well.

Just for a laugh, I hit the power button and, what do you know, a gray screen pops up! Good sign! I then realized that the OSX disc was sitting in the drive, so I very quickly pressed and held the "c" key. The apple showed up, the wheel started spinning and bam! I was able to reformat the drive and do a fresh install of OSX on the machine.

I've shut it down and rebooted it a few times and everything seems to be working fine -- on THAT machine.

The other one, however, is still exhibiting all the aforementioned symptoms.

Curt

Attached Files:

4. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

I was going to suggest a horrible hardware coincidence.

Perhaps try your magic method on the other one?

5. meowsus thread starter macrumors newbie

I have... but a while ago. I just took the battery out of it and will give it a go tomorrow.

Great minds think alike!

6. head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

it could be bad ram that's giving you kernel panics (which is the giant power button screen shot)...