MacBook Pro A1278 do not boot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mapomme1108, Mar 20, 2018.

1. mapomme1108 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I opened my MacBook Pro A1278 to change the hard drive.
    I damaged one of the spring of the motherboard and since the MacBook no longer starts.

If I press the On / Off button, the fan will turn for one second every 5 seconds.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Attached Files:

2. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68030

PBG4 Dude

06CB330B-49D8-4171-A1D7-8A35103AEDB9.jpeg Why would you touch the motherboard when the hard drive is right under the battery cover?

Side note, I still love this one, even though it can’t handle my workflow anymore. I swear the late 2008 MBP is Apple’s unicorn LOL.

3. Audit13 macrumors 68040

Audit13

Depends on the model of a1278 as to whether the motherboard is exposed when the bottom cover is removed?

4. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68030

PBG4 Dude

Just took that picture two minutes ago. Mobo not exposed, this area is set up to allow easy replacement of battery, HDD (SSD now in my case) and RAM. Only 3 Phillips screws hold the HDD sled in place.

5. Audit13 macrumors 68040

Audit13

The mid 2012 is also an a1278 and the motherboard is exposed after removing the bottom cover.

6. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68030

PBG4 Dude

Weird. My search results showing the late 2008 MBP as model A1278 must be wrong then. The writing has rubbed off the bottom casing so I can’t read the model number from my machine.

7. mapomme1108 thread starter macrumors newbie

On my MacBook Pro, the motherboard is exposed after removing the bottom cover.

Attached Files:

8. negativzero, Mar 20, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2018

negativzero macrumors 6502a

A1278 actually refers to a few different models. The OP's one looks like its from a 2010-2012 model with the logic board fully exposed.

https://everymac.com/ultimate-mac-lookup/?search_keywords=a1278

And from the looks of things nothing looks damaged. But OP, did you put everything back in back properly? If any of the connections aren't connected properly, the MacBook won't start. Still puzzling that you should damage a spring like this. But if something is damaged, then it probably means you need to change the logic board.

9. mapomme1108 thread starter macrumors newbie

10. treekram macrumors 68000

If your MBP doesn't work after checking the connections, it would help if you have another picture showing the full motherboard and doing something to indicate where the closeup picture comes from (put a pen pointing toward where the closeup is). I took a look at a couple of motherboard pictures and I can't place where it is. I don't recall encountering a spring when I did work on my 2012 non-Retina 13" MBP.

11. mapomme1108 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello,

Here are pictures

Attached Files:

12. LarryJoe33 macrumors 65816

LarryJoe33

Still pretty hard to tell/see what you actually damaged? I don't recall any "springs". If all else fails, connections, etc. You may be out of luck. I personally would just buy another used not upgraded, in good/great condition Mid 2012 and move your upgrades over. Your machine looks pretty beat up. Check the Marketplace here. I have to think you can score a really good condition one for <$300. I don't have any idea how much the logic board will cost, but I am guessing either DIY or with labor is not worth the effort vs. ~$300.

13. treekram macrumors 68000

The pictures helped - the first photo is near the USB connectors. You picture actually looks more like the 15" they have at iFixit than the 13". It may also be different designs for the board. I'm not sure what function the "towers" in your picture plays - one is missing the upper portion. You mention that the damaged part is a spring. Do the other towers act like a spring? If so, it may be that these towers don't play an electrical role and so having one of them broken may not be an issue. You'd have to make the decision to try more on your own or going to get it serviced. If the broken part doesn't play an electrical role, then you have something else causing the problem. If the broken part is required to make the computer work, you'll either need to find the missing part and hope it can be put back in (difficult if it is a spring) or try something ad-hoc (paper clip?) and hope you don't do further harm. An Apple-authorized service provider is going to be more economical than going to Apple unless somebody at the Genius Bar is willing to take a look.

You might want to take a look at Rossman's YouTube site - they cover a lot of board-level repair.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/rossmanngroup