MacBook Pro A1278 Mid 2009 overvoltage

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alexander5644, Jul 2, 2013.

1. alexander5644, Jul 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2013

alexander5644 macrumors newbie

hi guys

have a macbook pro a1278 mid 2009 2,26Ghz. The book came off my table a couple days ago.. It was running but the macbook died and I was not able to start the machine again...

When I plugged the macsafe the green LED was on, but it never turned orange so I assumed that the battery was not charging and the macbook did not turn on...

Given that I had no idea what was broken, I wanted to know if the problem is only the dead battery or something else

OK I KNOW THE FOLLOWING STEPS ARE STUPID (so please no silly comments!!)

I have another macbook a1342 (white macbook 2,26 Ghz late 2009) .. I noticed that the battery had the same connector so I wanted to check if my macbook pro turns on with the other battery...

I check the voltage and power (both batteries said: 10,95V -- 60W/h

I was convinced that it works... I connected the battery and started my laptop.. It worked fine, I checked everything and after a couple minutes I shut it down...

After 5 minutes I turned it on again to format my HD but it crashed and now it's not working anymore...

My question now is: Is the pinout on both logicboards different ? Can I assume that I broke my board with this silly idea or should it theoretically work with both batteries (even if the don't fit in the case )???

thanks in advance

btw: can somebody tell me which fuses I have to check??

2. blackburn macrumors 6502a

blackburn

I've done the same thing to charge a macbook pro battery that was pretty much dead. And it didn't nuke anything.

I've charged the mbp battery on the mb, and used the mb battery on the mbp without any consequences. (All with the 2.26ghz 2009 machines)

I did this because the mbp wouldn't charge the battery (bad magsafe board, now it works fine).

So looks like your computer has other problems.

Edit: Check for shorts within the mbp if it's fiscally damaged, or torn cables.

3. alexander5644, Jul 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2013

alexander5644 thread starter macrumors newbie

wait you did the same thing with the EXACT SAME MODELS??
    indeed a1278 and a1342?????

If so it would be the perfect proof for me, that this battery plug was not the cause for the shut down

can you tell me where I can find fuses and important cables to check...I'm not really having a good grasp of the electric circuits on a mainboard

4. blackburn macrumors 6502a

blackburn

Yep, exactly the same models. I still have both macs, one doesn't have the top part (the white macbook) but they both work fine (more information on the bottom of the post).

There is a thread about macbook repairs around here, you should check it.

Now you might have shorted something while testing it, since the battery doesn't fit, it has to be left a little out of the casing.

You should check the battery level indicator flex cable, try running the mbp without it connected. It's near the battery connector if I remember correctly.

TIP: Check ifixit teardowns.

My models are:
    MacBook Unibody (Late 2009) A1342
    MacBook Pro Unibody (Mid 2009) 13" A1278
    Both use the 9400m GPU and have the same 2,26Ghz Core 2 Duo CPU.