Macbook Pro A1398 EFI chip

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kris-hm, Sep 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kris-hm macrumors member

kris-hm

Okay, i purchased a Macbook pro on ebay knowing it was firmware locked. I got an A1398 retina with an i7 2.7Ghz with turbo up to 3.8Ghz 16gb ram and a 512ssd. I found a guy on ebay who sold efi chips and were supposedly preprogrammed. Got the chip on the board, laptop would not start at all. Contacted the guy again and got him to send me another chip, got this one on the board but i knocked a resistor off by accident and it fell into an alternate dimension. Tried to turn it on anyway, computer turned on, fans spin up very fast. (faster than they should) and heatsink got hot quickly. I immediately unplugged the battery.
    Got a schematic for the board and with some help from another forum i was able to replace the resistor i knocked off and lost somewhere in the depths of my carpet. Got the resistor on the board, turned laptop on, fans spin at idle like they should. Still no post or anything on the screen. No chime. No signs of life other than fans spinning.
    What makes this situation difficult is that when i removed and replaced the EFI chip the first time i lost the original. Actually my friend lost it but the point is its lost. Otherwise i would have made the clip readed from the SO8 clip i found on ebay so i could read the original and try to alter it if possible. But i cant do that now. So i need some help. Ive got a nice laptop that id really like to use without spending 700 dollars on the replacement board. Can anyone help me out here? Im at a stand still. I could still buy the clip and use it to rewrite the EFI chip to what i understand but i need a clean dump of my chip or the same chip. Apparently apple uses a few different ones in each laptop so you cant just replace it with any chip. it has to be programmed correctly for the board. As aggravating as that is to me right now, it does make it very secure. So if anyone can help me at all, id really appreciate it. Id go as far as to buy this clip and rewrite the chip with every possible programming there is for these laptops until i find one that works if someone can help me get clean dumps of each one. Or il buy each chip with each programming and try each one until one works. Or if anyone has a better idea, im open to suggestions.
    Trying to avoid spending 700+ dollars here if i can. I picked up the laptop for a little more than 200 bucks.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

[MOD NOTE]
    Asking help to bypass the firmware lock is not something that is accepted here and the replies will devolve into issues with buying a stolen laptop. Given those facts, this thread is being locked

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.