MacBook Pro & ACD ... Lid Closed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Croatian, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Croatian macrumors 6502

I've got a MBP and just recently got a ACD, i love the ACD. It's really nice and the screen size is just perfect. I run my laptop with the screen closed and sitting under the ACD.

I am wondering, maybe based on past experiences, is it good to run the MBP while the lid is closed cuz it does get hot after a while.

What do you guys think, and what would be the best setup.

2. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

As long as the vents on the back aren't blocked you should be fine. Its been designed to be used this way afterall. It might also help to put the laptop on a stand that way there's airflow underneath

3. Croatian thread starter macrumors 6502

this is how the setup looks like

[​IMG]

vents are not being blocked, and i did look into few stands, i like mStand but shipping to canada and duty will make it well over $100

4. Gloor macrumors 6502a

i love your desktop wallpaper. Would you be happy to share it ? preferably 2560x1600 :)

5. Croatian thread starter macrumors 6502

6. emotta macrumors member

i love it! heres my set-up. however its a big screen. things can sometimes get a little crowded!

[​IMG]

7. Colin20 macrumors regular

What's the deal with the cash?

8. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

I got mine for $75 or so at Carbon Computers. There's one in Kitchener Waterloo near you (I got mine in Toronto). Love it.

9. toyotaoffroadca macrumors newbie

10. emotta macrumors member

im going green! i was on my way to the bank and thought it would be funny. guess not.

11. Croatian thread starter macrumors 6502

I will look into that, thank you

12. Croatian thread starter macrumors 6502

Only 1 post so far that answers my question, trying to figure out if it is safe ruining MBP with the lid closed.

I read on few places that screens don't like the heat and it is not good to have the lid closed on your MBP

13. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Show off with your cash lol.

It's fine. When you're playing games or doing something extremely intensive, just open the lid a little for more ventilation. While the air doesn't get drawn from the keyboard, the escaping heat from the keyboard would make a difference.

14. emotta macrumors member

Exactly what the last post said! I use it in clamshell mode alot. I notice it gets hotter on my lap, than in clamshell mode. If you have any problems get a stand that has a fan w/ vent circulation. You can also use smcFanControl, works great!

15. Croatian thread starter macrumors 6502

sounds good, i was just worried if it would do anything to the screen with all the heat and stuff. i use smcFanControl and i have it at 4752 rpm and the them is usually around 45 C or 112 F

i love the new unibody MBP and i don't wanna break it so i figured i asked what others are doing or suggest.

16. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

If clamshell running at 45 deg C breaks your system, then my system running at 100 deg C at least 2 hours a day means my system is dead and gone.

17. halfbelgian macrumors member

halfbelgian

I must say you guys are very patient as on many of the internet forums I frequent somebody would have pointed out to the op right away that this question has been asked many times and that a simple search would reveal many recent threads on this topic. (So I guess I just did that ;) ).

18. NickM macrumors 6502

Yeah, but we know that (mostly new) people will ALWAYS ask questions that have already been asked before. The best thing to do, if it really bothers you, is to ignore their question and let the thread sink to the bottom.
    Anyone who isn't bothered by it and knows the answer can answer.
    Not everyone is a seasoned Forum Pro and thinks or even cares about searching before simply posting a question in hopes of a quickly replied answer.
    At least you try and suggest searching in a calm manner. I can't stand people who freak out and get offensive. It takes more energy to respond, let alone negatively, than it does to ignore someone's thread.

19. a4abt macrumors regular

Here's how I run my MBP with an external monitor:
    1- start the MBP
    2- once it's fully booted and everything has loaded, I close the lid
    3- the MBP goes to sleep
    4- wake the MBP from sleep mode by pressing any key on the external keyboard
    5- open the MBP's lid and the screen will be "off"

I tried running with the lid closed and noticed temperatures were between 5-10 C higher compared to running it with the lid open

20. vincebio macrumors 6502a

vincebio

if you press the power button to boot up your macbook pro, then immediatly close the lid, the MBP will boot up fine and its screen will sleep and your ACD will stay on.

21. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Those people are probably remembering the days of the Titanium PowerBooks which had their keyboards press against the screen on closing and were notorious for being VERY hot. As a result, the keyboard could melt under extreme heat which subsequently impaired the screen

Link to example story here

This issue has been compensated for. If you close your laptop now you will notice a gap between keyboard and screen...its so you can run the laptop in clamshell mode i.e. ventilation purposes.

You should be fine and even if (although unlikely) something goes wrong. Apple will fix it. After all they put the functionality (clamshell mode) there means they expect it to work

If you absolutely have to have your mind at peace then emulate the setup posted by others on here...that $100 might be worth the peace of mind after all

22. Croatian thread starter macrumors 6502

i found a local store here in town that carries mStand and picked one up for $75 with tax, sweet deal. now with lid closed on the stand it runs at about 43 C and with lid open it runs at about 40 C, pretty good for average tasks like safari, itunes and mail.

thank you all for your input