Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tomf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2009
Hi,

im on 10.8.5, i have a macbook pro, 4gb ram, 2.4ghz intel core i5 processor.

I have 122gb space free on the mac HD.

I am finding lately that things are becoming really slow to respond, like opeing itunes takes about 10-15 seconds sometimes, when i open the finder window its blank for about 5 seconds, i get the spinning wheel, then it shows my stuff. Opening safari also, the icon bounces in the dock about 6 times before it opens.

ive done the disk utility thing, verified permissions, repaired permissions etc..

Anyone know what i can do to get it back to acting normal again? its becoming really annoying.

Thanks for any help or advice.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
This may sound like a dumb answer, but have you tried just powering it down (all the way off), and then re-booting?

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Hi,

im on 10.8.5, i have a macbook pro, 4gb ram, 2.4ghz intel core i5 processor.

I have 122gb space free on the mac HD.

I am finding lately that things are becoming really slow to respond, like opeing itunes takes about 10-15 seconds sometimes, when i open the finder window its blank for about 5 seconds, i get the spinning wheel, then it shows my stuff. Opening safari also, the icon bounces in the dock about 6 times before it opens.

ive done the disk utility thing, verified permissions, repaired permissions etc..

Anyone know what i can do to get it back to acting normal again? its becoming really annoying.

Thanks for any help or advice.

1. Clear out junk.
2. Repair disk permissions.
3. Upgrade your hardware (if your memory pressure is green, no need to upgrade RAM. Consider an SSD instead).

tomf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2009
yes I've powered it down obviously. this is happening all the time, sometimes i click on safari and it bounces in the dock about 30 times before it opens.

I know a SSD would be better, but surely thats not the problem here. I've decluttered the best i can. repaired permissions, verified disk etc….

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Its probably not slow, its just spending time doing something, to find out what that something might be use the Activity Monitor and see what is using large amounts of CPU....

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Back up your system, and do a clean install, odds are there's cruft from years of use may have accumulated in the library folders and/or installed apps that are causing the slow down.

Since you repaired permissions, did you check the SMART status to make sure the drive is not reporting errors?

tomf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2009
thanks guys, what is this SMART thing?

I've checked activity monitor and the highest thing was Finder - 425mb

everything else after that was small,
ScreenShot2014-04-17at095835_zps550e5ee8.png

tomf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2009
wow - i sorted by CPU and finder is going through the room sometimes -

ScreenShot2014-04-17at101553_zps0a9007b9.png

Finder CPU % was going up to like 107%, it kept changing, going down up down up etc etc….clearly something is wrong there?

Maybe thats whats making everything sluggish?

tomf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 11, 2009
yes just relaunched finder. was reading other threads of people saying finder going up and over 100% cpu usage, they were saying it could be caused by dropbox or its a problem with mountain lion.

I'm sure this is whats making my mac sluggish though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.