Macbook Pro acting strange?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by buy123, Aug 6, 2011.

1. buy123 macrumors newbie

Recently my backlight screen stopped working. Not only that, but the volume keys, backlight keys, and dim light keys aren't working either. Also, if i try to restart, shut down or sleep via the apple in the top left corner, that doesn't work either. However, if I close my macbook it will go to sleep. Sooooo, some keys and functons work, but others dont? I mean I can still get online, and do most all functions as far as I can see. I have MAC OSX-leopard.

How do I fix this? Also, I had backlit problems before, but Apple fixed them (this was like 2 years ago when I first bought my mac). Maybe there's a virus?

2. ThirtyThr33 macrumors 6502

ThirtyThr33

Sounds weird. Take it to an Apple store, they can run diagnostics

3. buy123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Will they do it for free? I mean, I think my Apple warranty is up.

4. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

is this something an SMC reset might help?

(i'm not sure, just throwing it out there.)

have you tried a SMC reset?

5. buy123 thread starter macrumors newbie

No I haven't tried SMC reset. I will have to look that up. Also, My mac doesnt have a password anymore. I set a password so every time I open my mac, you have to type a pass, but my mac doesnt do that anymore. It just starts up now...

6. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

Sounds like an SMC problem. Hold shift, control and option. Don't let go of those keys and with your other hand press the power button. Nothing should happen. Let go and then turn it on normally. http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I agree it sounds like an issue that resetting the SMC would address. If you can't power it off with the menu, you can always press and hold the power button for several seconds, until it shuts down.
    One thing is certain: it's not a virus. No viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any, since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install: