Macbook Pro Acting Strange

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Alucardx03, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Alucardx03 macrumors 6502a

Hey guys. I've had my MBP for about a year-and-a-half now. It has worked fine thus far, but now I am experiencing a blue screen that flashes occasionally. It isn't during startup or shutdown, but at random times. The flash will last for a second or two, but the frequency seems to be increasing.

I have my MBP connected to a Dell monitor and have had it connected for about 8 months. This is the first time it's happening.

Does anyone know what this is or what's causing it? Is this going to keep getting worse and worse? Would scrubbing the hard drive help matters? I have everything backed up, so it wouldn't be a huge deal...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. dragonmantek macrumors regular

dragonmantek

graphics card issue? os x issue?

maybe its the old macbook pro graphics card issue hitting you.

3. Alucardx03 thread starter macrumors 6502a

What happens to the old graphics cards? Do they die over time or something?

4. newbie jnr macrumors member

is it the kind of flash that you get when you connect an external monitor? if so, it may be a bad connection somewhere between your dell monitor and your MBP. Try checking that they're plugged in properly, etc

5. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Also, sometimes when some external monitors go to sleep, they power down enough to make the MBP think its no longer connected. I've had this happen a couple times, but not with increasing frequency as you say.

The SR models and up have had issues thus far with the video cards going bad ....my own included.

6. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

is it a flash or a fade?

they fade (well somewhat) when going from monitor plugged in to not plugged in

7. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

I was going to ask the same question- if it is a fade, the issue probably is not serious, and there should be a simple way to fix it.

8. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Time to troubleshoot. The obvious first step should be to not use the Dell monitor & see if the blue flash persists w/ the MBP's monitor.