Macbook Pro Acting Up. Had Lengthy Apple Support Problems in Past. Losing My Mind.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jedivulcan, Aug 27, 2008.

1. jedivulcan macrumors 6502

I'm currently on Macbook Pro #7. Lucky Number Seven. This one has lasted a year and two months. My screen started freezing. Anytime I went into Spaces or did something that required some transparencies, it went bluish glitchy. It did it several times. Fans would spin up, then Poof, it'd turn off. I then reinstalled Leopard, did all the updates, and removed the second monitor. The moment it went to a screen saver... that nice flurry one, it froze. I get "Graphics Channel Timeout" entries pop into the system log when I check it.

The problem is... these problems happened RIGHT when the semester starts and I really need a computer that can crunch stuff for school.

I've had incredibly bad and lengthy experiences with Apple in the past. I mean, long. Between 1-3 months per problem. Worst case ended up being almost 10 months because some one didn't issue me a refund.

What do I do? Does the Genius Bar give out temporary laptops while they fix mine? I'm just getting sick and tired of this bullsh*t.

Suggestions, ideas, HELP!?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I've never heard of any Genius Bar or Apple... or any other computer maker... giving a "loaner".

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

They won't give you loaners.

If you are on MBP #7, don't leave the store until you get a refund :D

4. Sirus2400 macrumors regular

Most important question: Do you have AppleCare? If not, your SOL. If you do, take it into the Genius bar and stress that you have to start classes. I've usually had about 1 week turnaround time, but maybe I'm just lucky.

5. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

That MBP is a lemon and you should be protected under law.

6. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

wow I am sorry. I have never heard of someone going through 7 MBPs. I've heard people get a dud, the rare case of 2 duds, but never more than that... good luck... but yea, I think that's a no-go on a "loaner"

7. PeaceOut macrumors member

I know all the Steve Jobs worshippng, mac fan boys will come out to flame me. 7 macs and they have all failed. Hummm.

Buy a PC

8. Philscbx macrumors regular

Philscbx

Probably bring it in from the rain would help, 7? I find that pretty hard to swallow. When mine has been all over the world, on planes, trains, truck everyday, BUT never dropped, spilled on, sat on. So there must be more to the story other than just sitting at a desk.

Is there a way to track the incidence of the G force sensor?

9. jedivulcan thread starter macrumors 6502

This one is being repaired... hopefully with a one week turnaround... it's supposedly already repaired according to their site.

10. Schmoe0013 macrumors regular

Schmoe0013

Hopefully you get it in a week. I've been lucky a couple of times with my repairs and it has only been 3 days.

Good luck with your laptop!

11. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I've never seen more that the 3 days it takes to ship overnight, fix in one day and ship back. I always call and have a box sent. I've never visited an Apple store for service but if it takes longer why do people use them?

Good luck