Macbook Pro Acting Up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RedBarchetta, Jan 12, 2008.

1. RedBarchetta macrumors member

Okay so I have the 2.2ghz SR Macbook Pro, 2 gigs of RAM. It has been absolutely perfect since I got it in August however just yesterday it started exhibiting some of the characteristics that people have been making complaints about.

On Tuesday I had a 3 and a half hour battery life and the thing ran quiet and cool. Now today (I am a few minutes from fully calibrating my battery) the battery all of a sudden shows 90% health at 5040maH with 32 cycles. The battery now only lasts an hour and a half, the thing is hotter than hell (after a half hour the overall temp is 40 degrees, it used to reach that temp after about 11 hours of straight running). And the fans are almost hitting 4500 RPM just surfing using Safari.

Any suggestions as to what I can do without wasting time to call and bitch to Apple.

2. amusiccale macrumors 6502

Perhaps try this: Use a program like iStat Pro to monitor your CPU usage. If you have VMWare Fusion installed, it may interact with the Airport in such a way that it uses approx. 90-100% (out of 200%) CPU at all times. This will reduce your battery life and increase heat as described. This happens to me when coming out of sleep; the solution can be to turn off airport and turn it back on or reboot the system.

3. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Yeah.. what does Activity Monitor say? It sounds like something's hammering your MBP.

4. Malcster macrumors 6502

I could be wrong but it sounds to me like you may have a runaway process going on in the background, some application that hasn't quit properly but is using a lot of cpu and not letting your idle state kick in. (thus making it hot, kicking the fans on and draining your battery much quicker)

Check Activity Monitor and see if there's something hogging one of your CPUs.

edit: beaten too it :D

5. RedBarchetta thread starter macrumors member

So exactly what am I looking for in the Activity Monitor, Apparently the User (me) is using 50% CPU but I don't see what could be doing it. I've attatched some info.

Attached Files:

• am.jpg
      am.jpg
      File size:
      482.6 KB
      Views:
    • istat.jpg
      istat.jpg
      File size:
      32.2 KB
      Views:
  6. MoeOz macrumors member

Same Actin ..

well i couldnt agree more , i juz got da same model back in september and since then yeah it runs good , my battery health was always 99-98 zo , after the leopard it starts the act with certin programs , heatin up , fans ,memory leak , kernel panics , even restart msg last week kept rebootin for 3 days or so , anyway i did calibrate ma battery and its down to 95 with 18 cycle after all its went up to 96 and its stopped that fan heat restart act .. so i guess im fine after all .

7. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

Create a new account.. if the problem persists, it is either hardware or at the OS level. If the problem is solved, it is most likely an App going crazy.

8. Malcster macrumors 6502

From the look of your screenshot the process your looking for isn't in view, change the 'My Processes' combo at the top (above Show) to list 'All Processes' then click the CPU tab at the top of the CPU column to sort the column by highest usage.

You'll see one process thats using more than a 100, this is the one thats hogging one of your cpu's, you can kill it from here too by selecting it and clicking the 'Quit Process' button but identify what app it is before you do as you'll need to investigate why its not working correctly.

9. CV4 macrumors member

english please.

10. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Hahhah! my thought exactly!

11. Marky_Mark macrumors 6502a

Marky_Mark

Have you simply tried rebooting? Rogue processes show all these symptoms - CPU 100%, battery life drastically reduced, fans going like whirling dervishes.

I've had this a couple of times after a few weeks of uptime. Sometimes things just don't get loaded back into memory properly when you come out of sleep and it creates a problem. A reboot normally fixes it.

12. RedBarchetta thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I have tried the reboot. Now I'm running ClamXav and its almost full CPU usage but its at 29 degrees and fans under 2000 rpm lol.

13. RedBarchetta thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the help everyone I think i just fixed it. PrintJob Manager was hogging 99% CPU usage :s