Macbook Pro acting weird..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by robotboy21, Jun 29, 2011.

1. robotboy21 macrumors newbie

A couple of days ago I started experiencing some weird things with the Macbook. First I would turn it on, the little power light would turn on as well then dim and the computer would shut down.

Well I thought it was perhaps because it wasn't charged so I plugged it in and let it charge for a few minutes. I turned it on after and it seemed to load (even though it was slower than usual).

Today I turn it on and I head to the bathroom to brush my teeth. When I come back the screen is black as if it was in screensaver mode or something. I pressed enter and once I did that's when the desktop and dock started popping up really slow.... Then the computer shuts off. And it is charged, it was at 40% when this happened.

I've had these two cases happen quite a few times these past couple of days.. sometimes it shuts down and restarts itself only to shut down again.

I do carry my Macbook with me in a backpack quite frequently (one that's supposed to protect it and hold it in place) so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I also have a lot of items on the desktop and perhaps I need to clean the Mac up a little bit.... or perhaps I caught, god forbid, a Mac virus/trojan?

I have absolutely no idea so that's why I'm asking for your help and suggestions. After this happens and I am finally able to get it to load properly it starts out sluggish.. like the movements of the computer are sluggish and then after a while they go back to normal.

Just gave you all of those tidbits in case they would help you out.

2. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

3. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any, since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install:

For unexpected shut downs, Reset the SMC.

5. robotboy21 thread starter macrumors newbie

Macbook Pro 17" Intel Core i5 2.53 GHz

Mac OS X 10.6.8

Does that help? And thanks for the help guys.

This morning I turned it on only to have it turn off by itself seconds after. One time I was able to boot it up fine only to have it turn off by itself when I opened a program.

The battery was at 40% so it wasn't because it needed to be charged. I am so confused and worried at the same time.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Have you reset the SMC, as suggested?

7. Hyper-X macrumors 6502a

8. amsure macrumors newbie

Does the same problem persist if you have your MBP on the AC charger?

I remember having something similar to this on my older MBP when running off battery but was fine on AC.

Turned out to be a battery problem. It was not holding a charge and reporting incorrect battery info to the MBP so while it actually had almost no power it would sometimes show 95%.

9. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

The links you posted are irrelevant. Of course antivirus companies are going to claim there are viruses for OSX. The fact of the matter is, there are not.

In addition, sophos is probably one of the worst virus scanners for OSX, it uses a ridiculous amount of resources and can increase your Macs vulnerability.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You need to do some research before you post. First, read the Mac Virus/Malware Info link I posted earlier, so you understand what a virus is and what it isn't. If you read that link, you'll also read:
    Long story short, there is not one single Mac OS X virus on that list, and many of the items on that list aren't even malware.

11. robotboy21, Jul 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011

robotboy21 thread starter macrumors newbie

12. GGJstudios, Jul 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2011

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Based on what you described, it doesn't make sense that simply cleaning files/folders off your desktop would have any effect at all on the symptoms you were having. My guess is there's something else that was changed in the process that you may have missed. Anyway, I'm glad it worked out for you.

13. robotboy21, Jul 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2011

robotboy21 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well guys apparently it was just luck because it started happening again about two days ago. It doesn't matter if it's plugged to a power source or not, it is shutting down as soon as the power sound ends. I press the power button on the laptop it does the little sound and it turns off.

Then when I finally get it to turn on it is very sluggish and slow, the movements/animations are kind of choppy and whatnot.

Sometimes I hold the power button until it flashes then release it and it seems to turn on but again it is slow and sluggish.

After 10 minutes or so it stops being sluggish and it's back to normal performance.

I honestly don't know what to do?

14. ahdickter macrumors 6502

Are you still in warranty? You might wanna take it into the Apple Store.

15. robotboy21 thread starter macrumors newbie

I purchased it off eBay around January... How do I check if it's under warranty?

And I forgot to mention that a few times when I'd turn on the Macbook a little grey loading bar would appear on the bottom of the white apple screen and I had to wait around 7 minutes or so until it loaded and then it would turn on. This has happened about 3-4 times now.

Looks like this:

[​IMG]

16. robotboy21 thread starter macrumors newbie

So I did some research about some stuff and some forum suggested to Verify Disk.... I ran disk utility, verify disk and this is what came up:

[​IMG]

Could this be the reason?

And should I backup my files before trying to repair it with the installation DVD?

17. robotboy21 thread starter macrumors newbie

Any help?

I repaired the disk but it's still happening. Macbook shuts down 2 seconds after I turn it on... I can bypass this by holding the power button for 5-10 seconds and then release it and it turns on but sluggish and slow.

18. Contiguous macrumors member

Sounds like your hard drive may be trying to quit on you. Are your fans running a lot?

Anyways, call up Apple, have your serial number ready, and they should be able to tell you if it's still under warranty (and if so, where/how to get it repaired.)

Oh, and backup now before you do anything else.

19. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

That's the firmware update screen... try a clean install of OS X if you haven't already but I would suspect bad hardware... most likely the logic board but I can't say for sure.