MacBook Pro Advice! Quickly Needed!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by zakmac12, Dec 26, 2009.

1. zakmac12 macrumors newbie

I've been a mac guy my whole life, hell, I learned how to read on a Mac, but some years ago I moved over to a PC due to cost stipulations.

But recently, my Acer laptop died and now I'm in the market for a Mac.

I need something that will last me a good 2 years without being a piece of crap by the end of those 2 years (ex: It needs to be able to still run alright, my stupid Acer in 2 years runs like crap because of Vista), and can do essentially everything.
    I've been HIGHLY considering the 15'' MacBook Pro with the upgraded 3.06 Ghz Processor.
    Here's my concern, would it be better to wait a month or so thinking Apple may update the MacBookPro? Or is that more viable of a thing to happen in the Summer months? I know that since Apple doesn't attend MacWorld that their big unveiling isn't really in Jan. anymore, so I'm not sure.

Advice?
    Get it now, or wait till Februaryish?

I cannot wait until after June, as I will be overseas at that point and will NEED a laptop.

2. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

exactly what badger^2 said. Get it if u need it now. but waiting is always a good thing. the core i5 processors will inevitably be placed in the new macbooks and new standards are emerging such as USB 3.0. So, wait if u can, but the macbook pro w/ a 3.06 core 2 duo will still be a solid machine 2 yrs from now. albeit it will not be as fast but it will do just fine for most tasks except gaming.

3. zakmac12 thread starter macrumors newbie

I can wait probably until May, but then I have to buy, but by the looks of that link, I would suspect that they'll be updating it soon? Possibly along with the release of the iTablet?

4. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

iTablet comes out right after the iNetbook, but not before.

Apple has a media event scheduled on the 26th, wait until then.

5. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

6. zakmac12 thread starter macrumors newbie

Looking from that link, Apple seems to be on an 8 Month Rotation with upgrades, and the 8th month would be around February for these, so that would make sense logically.

7. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I would really wait if you care about having something reasonably current spec-wise. The Core2Duo line is extremely long in the tooth right now - things have not changed significantly in over 3 years. That's finally about to change.

8. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Wait until the updates, as they are about a month away...