Macbook Pro Advice -- What would you do?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by uscpsycho, Mar 26, 2010.

  1. uscpsycho macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2009
    #1
    I can get the current generation MBP 15" w/ 2.8GHz processor for $1965. A very sweet deal.

    But I know that a refresh is right around the corner so if I buy this one and the new models are a significant improvement I'll have buyer's remorse.

    What would you do? Take the really sweet deal on the current model or hold out for a new one? Other than upgraded processor, any clue as to what other changes the new model might have?

    I don't pay much attention to Apple's pricing strategies. Is the new model likely to be considerably more than the current model? How long after release does it usually take Apple for their first price drop?

    Thanks!
     
  2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

    dukebound85

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2005
    Location:
    5045 feet above sea level
    #2
    what do you use it for?

    For me, I wouldnt be able to tell the differences so the savings would be nice

    The prices tend to stay the same
     
  3. jetlife2 macrumors regular

    jetlife2

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2004
    Location:
    Cincinnati, Oh
    #3
    my advice

    Apple will drop the price on the current model only AFTER the new one comes out.

    Then the price of the new model will almost always be the same as today's price. The specification will improve but the price range will be the same.

    You will have a short window (a few weeks at most) after the new model comes out, where different retailers will have the "old" model available, at a lower price.

    Then you will have a longer window (could be months), where Apple will have the "old" model available in their Special Deals/Refurbished store section, for a lower price than the new model, usually 10-15%. But your choice will be limited and they may not have the model you want.

    Only you can decide if your need for a new machine can wait.
     
  4. DFTU101 macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 16, 2008
    #4
    Personally, I'd wait. You can get that MBP from Apple for $2099 (with a 500 gb HD) or $2054 (with a 320 gb HD) simply by going onto their site and selecting the educational store so you do same some with your dealer but to me the savings aren't that great.
     
  5. JNickyJJ macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2010
    #5
    I would seriously wait, Last year i bought the unibody macbook only to find new macbook pros for the same price 2 weeks later, on the other hand though, its still an amazing laptop and so if you need one now [​IMG] get one now
     
  6. alent1234 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2009
    #6
    $1965 for a C2D CPU and 2 year old motherbaord chipset/graphics? what a deal.
     
  7. uscpsycho thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2009
    #7
    Great info. But when the new one comes out, how long before a price drop on the new model? Don't they usually drop prices shortly after release and people always have a cow?
    Plus tax. Mine is $1965 out the door. Big difference. That's what makes this such a great deal.

    Appreciate all the advice guys. You've got me leaning towards waiting.
     
  8. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

    Badger^2

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2009
    Location:
    Sacramento
    #8
    its a good deal, but not a great deal.

    Only about $100 less than other online retailers -- I could get one for $2080 out the door.
     
  9. uscpsycho thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2009
    #9
    $100+ below the next best price is a lot for an Apple product.

    Reason is I already bought the computer. But I didn't open it and decided to return it. Retailer apparently doesn't want it back either and offered me a nice discount if I agreed to keep it. But I have to decide today, by Monday at the latest.
     

Share This Page