Macbook Pro advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Kyddil, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Kyddil macrumors newbie

I have a question for you guys.. I'm from the Netherlands and in 3 weeks I will go to New York for 2 weeks.. I have relatives living in New York and I was thinking of buying my Macbook Pro there (low dollar etc).. BUT I don't wanna buy a stock model.. I want to modify it..

My question is; How long will it take for Apple to send out a custom Macbook Pro? I mean the website says 3-4 days but I have a hard time believing that.. I heard it can take 2-3 weeks till its shipped?

So, when should I order my custom Macbook Pro via apple store online? Does it really take 3-4 days for a customized Macbook Pro to arrive?

Thanks!! :D

2. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Its actually usually fast. The only time modded ones take longer is if a refresh just happened.

That being said if all you are going to mod is the hard drive and ram I would suggest ordering that from OWC its MUCH cheaper.

3. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

Keep in mind that the US keyboard layout is different than European ones. Some keys have different sizes, etc., so you won't be able to just switch them around.

4. Kyddil thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the answers.. I will not upgrade the RAM or HD.. since Apple is very expensive.. only thing im going to change is the screen.. wanna have a HD antiglare screen.. or maybe just HD...

5. MacLawII macrumors newbie

Hey, I'm pretty shure, there will be Hi-Res AG / Hi-Res Glossy ones in store, I mean, isn't the NYC store one of the biggest ones?

6. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Keep in mind sales taxes are very high in New York (not as bad as VAT) they are not included in the price listed. Perhaps if you went over to an Apple store in New Jersey you could get a better price. Though I don't know the tax rate in New Jersey.

7. rednano74 macrumors member

If the OP is brave enough...we have 0% sales tax here in DE. :p

8. NicoleRichie macrumors 6502

should be in stock. Just give them a call to check.

9. iPhysicist macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

English keyboard shouldn't be an obstacle for typing at all. The only thing that would bother me is the extra money for buying a power adaptor.

10. Kyddil thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone! An other question.. I have a cousin living in the States and I wanna buy the macbook pro online with student discount.. Does my cousin need to show his studentcard or anything to apple when buying online? I mean what if he lost his studentcard for example?

11. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

It's more a roll of the roulette wheel as to whether or not they will require proof. If he gets randomly selected I think he will have to fax a copy of his student ID. Though they may except other proof such as current enrollment schedule from his college.

12. fkhan3 macrumors 6502

Mine was pretty fast. I custom ordered my MBP on Sunday and it was delivered the same week on Friday. I bought mine with student discount and they didn’t ask me for proof, chances are higher if you purchase it from Apple store

13. PhelpsiPhan macrumors 6502

PhelpsiPhan

I dont know what it's like in the states, but normally about a week in Oz