MacBook Pro advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jcampa70, Feb 14, 2012.

1. jcampa70 macrumors newbie

Hi, I have a mid 2009 17 MacBook Pro, do you think is a good idea to buy the new one? The Late 2011 model with 8 gigs of ram?

I´m really tired of rumors, the 2012, the 2013, I´m playing this game since 2006 and it´s really a dead end. I Just want to know how do they perform side by side, I don´t have any problems with my actual MPB (Photoshop, Illustrator, iMovie...), but if I can see a great performance with the new one, I can make the jump.

Thanks.

2. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

If you don't need a new one, why even ask the question? If your current one is good enough for your needs and you're happy with it, the question is answered. Only you can answer if you need a quad core processor, better video, etc. for your needs.

It's a significant jump, yes. But will it really matter to you when you might not use 50% of Sandy Bridge's capabilities?

Your best bet (if you haven't already) it to self-upgrade the RAM to 8GB and add an SSD or a hybrid Momentus XT Drive for better performance. Adding a pure SSD will seem like you have a whole new computer. If you don't need the optical drive, take that out and buy an OptiBay adapter and put your Solid State Drive in the main bay and the hard drive (for more storage) in the optical drive bay.

3. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

I agree with dlimes13 - seems to me you are just bored with what you've got, you will quickly get bored with a new machine too. As a general rule you should upgrade when it will make you more productive. My last MBP was a 2007 model - it was becoming a liability in terms of my productivity so I upgraded. If you don't feel like your computer is slowing you down in terms of your workflow, I don't see a logical reason to upgrade but that's just my $.02

4. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

IMHO you have answered your own question. ;)

I have the same in a 13" and I'm sure the new one would blow me away, but there is nothing wrong with the one I've got. Have you upgraded the 17" at all? Memory is pretty cheap.