MacBook Pro Advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Lowndes, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Lowndes macrumors newbie

Hi, i am about to purchase a MacBook Pro 13" and could use a bit of advice. Basically I want to spend as much as necessary to get a machine that serves my purposes but am not looking to get every feature imaginable. Also I don't really care if the computer is new or used.

Primarily the computer will be used to store photos and to edit them as I would like to get into photography. I am certainly an amateur here. Computer will also be used to store music and videos that I can sync up with my Ipad and IPhone. Don't do any gaming at all. Would like to use the computer at home for work purposes via Citrix so I can leave the work laptop at the office at night and when travel,ing for work. Is parallels needed for this these days? Other than the above the computer will be used for surfing Internet.

Any help would be much appreciated. I'm not very familiar with Macs other than my wife has a MacBook pro from 2009 that is still going strong. I'd like my own personal computer now though instead of using my work computer for everything. Any help or advice would be much appreciated!

2. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

Hi, im glad I'm here to help. Message me if you need more help, now to the point. i had a mac from 2004, so I'm pretty good with choices of mac. I would recommended the 13 inch retina, just because of $200 more dollars you are getting so many upgrades. i have the 15' retina because of my classes. I don't know much about parallel but i do know bootcamp. And if you need more help just message me and i can help one on one.

3. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Best value right now (in my opinion) is getting a refurbished late 2013 rMBP.

4. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

i wouldn't recommended any upgrades, but if you get the memory upgrade to 512gb of memory.

5. Lowndes thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

7. Lowndes thread starter macrumors newbie

I think I Am just going to get the linked computer from Apple. Just to be sure though if it was released in October 2013 that classifies as one of the late model 2013 releases?

8. troy14 macrumors 6502a

Yes, it is.

If you're going to do photography, is 15" to big for your purposes? I actually just purchased that same machine (the 13" is very light/small/portable), however, I have lots of photographer friends who use a 15". I guess it depends if you plan on hooking it up to an external monitor or not. Also, you will most likely want an external storage solution (I wouldn't really recommend storing all your photos on the internal SSD, since it is usually small and photos take up lots of space). Also, don't forget a backup of that storage, you don't want to lose your data.

Applecare is also a must, although, you should buy it a week or two before the factory 1 year warranty expires from bhphoto or another online retailer that is cheaper. The reason why I say wait until the 1 year warranty is almost up is that way if you lose your computer or anything happens (water damage) you aren't out any money or hassle. Sure, you can get a prorated discount if you cancel it...but...

P.S. As a first time Mac buyer, I would highly recommend either brand new from Apple (best buy, etc.) or a refurbished unit from Apple (actually I would recommend refurbished because of the nice discount). I wouldn't necessarily recommend buying used as your first Mac because there are certain things to look out for, and a nice 1 year warranty direct from Apple will be the least hassle and least trouble relationship you'll have.

9. oxfordguy macrumors 6502a

If you can wait a bit, I think you'd be better off waiting for the Broadwell-based (see: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1835206 ) Macbook Pro updates due later this year. As well as the improved CPU, the integrated graphics chipset appears likely to be much better than the current one used.

There are also rumours that Apple will be changing some other things in the Macbook Pro line-up e.g. the design of the case