Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peterjc01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
hey everyone. i found a website selling macbook pro's brand new in box for 1500 dollars! Sounds good right, but they use google checkout and I asked if I could pay via paypal instead. They said yes I could but I checked with paypal and if I pay and if its a fraud I can only claim a partial refund if I do not receive the item. You have to buy via ebay to get a buyer protection policy from paypal. I've tried to contact them by email and wourld rather pay by cash but they dont respond to that question. Any advice.

I also heard bad things about using google checkout if there are problems. thanks

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
If you pay via Paypal and get scammed you wont get your money back. Paypal say they offer buyer protection, but its a lie, they will turn around and say its your fault from buying from a suspicious seller. Even on Ebay.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
hey everyone. i found a website selling macbook pro's brand new in box for 1500 dollars! Sounds good right, but they use google checkout and I asked if I could pay via paypal instead. They said yes I could but I checked with paypal and if I pay and if its a fraud I can only claim a partial refund if I do not receive the item. You have to buy via ebay to get a buyer protection policy from paypal. I've tried to contact them by email and wourld rather pay by cash but they dont respond to that question. Any advice.

I also heard bad things about using google checkout if there are problems. thanks

Is it the new Unibody MBP? that sounds too good to be true and you know what they say....... I honestly would not risk it, paypal will definitely only cover a small portion unless its a transaction done on ebay. I dont know anything about google checkout but I'm assuming thats not safe either. Do some research and be careful.

peterjc01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
yep new unibody macbook pro one. Yea may just go for one on ebay 1600 new after cashback from live.com

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I think it may be the old chestnut about if it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is. Be careful, and rather suspicious. In other words, don't touch it.

However, if money is an issue, why not go the refurb route? That way, you can buy from Apple themselves, and rest assured that the machine you buy is legit, has been tested and ntried and comes with Apple's warranty, all at a competitive price.

Cheers and good luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.