MacBook Pro advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Michael York, Nov 6, 2009.

  1. Michael York macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2009
    #1
    I'm due to take a holiday to America this December and I'm probably going to bring a MacBook Pro back, as they are much cheaper than here in the UK.

    However, the MacBook Pro line is rumored to be getting updates early next year which leaves me unsure.

    I'll be purchasing the low-end MBP 13" and will be upgrading the RAM.

    Based on the current exchange rate, I'm saving £200 if I buy it in the US.

    I need to know wether I should just buy it in December, or wait 'till February and hope for spec bumps and price cuts which will make it worth purchasing in the UK.

    I haven't got an urgent need for a laptop, but my current one really isn't very fast anymore.
    Thanks.
     
  2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

    thegoldenmackid

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2006
    Location:
    dallas, texas
    #2
    I'd say wait. There likely won't be a price cut, but it's going to be a fairly decent update.
     
  3. Michael York thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2009
    #3
    I don't think the quality of upgrades will be justified though.

    4 GB of RAM and 250GB HD only costs around £100 on top of the current price.

    There'll probably be a slight processor upgrade too, but will that make much of a difference?
     
  4. atticus27 macrumors regular

    atticus27

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2009
    Location:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    #4
    I think apple will just bump up the hardrive to 250 and a prossesor bump. I don't think that be worth the wait if you want one now and can save money.
     
  5. Michael York thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2009
    #5
    That was kinda what I was thinking.

    Another question, rather than go for the low-end 13" MBP, should I get the high-end one (4GB RAM, 250GB HD and 2.53GHz processor). It still works out cheaper to buy that in the US than it does to buy the entry level MBP in the UK.
     
  6. Bbusyb macrumors member

    Bbusyb

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2009
    Location:
    Notts, UK / Alex, Egypt
    #6
    You, its probably a better deal to get the higher end model in the US and bring it back with you. As the warranty is worldwide there should be no issues on that end. Buy the Applecare as well at the same time, as it will be cheaper there as well.

    As long as you don't bring it back in its box, you should probably not run into any issues with customs.
     
  7. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2006
    Location:
    UK
    #7
    It is rumoured that they will include quad cores for the first time in Macbook pros. Then again, its rumoured...
     
  8. Michael York thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2009
    #8
    I'll definitely be buying AppleCare, it certainly gives me peace of mind. And thanks for the tip, I probably would've brought it back in the box, being the stupid person I am. :p

    Quad-cores are really out of my budget - especially in a notebook. But it'll be something to save up for :)
     
  9. Bbusyb macrumors member

    Bbusyb

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2009
    Location:
    Notts, UK / Alex, Egypt
    #9
    Its more of a case of being safe then sorry. While I don't think most people here will leave it in the box to take home, I know a few people who wanted to bring them as gifts so kept them in the box. Then they were surprised when the Friendly HMCR Officer asked them about it and had them Pay VAT on it :(

    As long as its inside another bag even in the box you're unlikely to run into any issues. The advantage of not having it in a box comes into play if you get stopped, as they'll accept that you took it with you went over, unlike if they saw the box.
     

Share This Page